I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Between a rock and a hard place

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 17:30
Today my husband saw the oncologist, news not great PSA has gone up testosterone level is 1.6 so the HT Is no longer effective. The lovely oncologist told him he had three choices :- a course of docetaxel, a trial involving decetaxel and a new drug or abiriterone. The oncologist was basically saying she was thinking the docetaxel as he was relatively fit to withstand the treatment and then should things not work out, the abiriterone as a back up. However, she is leaving the decision up to him, came home with lots of information that I've read. My husband is not keen on reading up on things he prefers car magazines! I have a scientific background so I can distill things for him but in reality he needs to make the decision himself. It was the very first time I have heard him ask for a prognosis and it really brought things to a head I'm strong but must admit to having a bit of a wobble. Ten years down the track he has don e brilliantly but now he is telling the oncologist about pain, unable to gain sleep so he was sent home with oramorph. Just hoping he wakes with a clear head and decision. He said that he won't decide until the scans and tests results come through.
After 45 years I do know how he copes with things like this I just hate standing back and letting him get on with it
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 17:30
Today my husband saw the oncologist, news not great PSA has gone up testosterone level is 1.6 so the HT Is no longer effective. The lovely oncologist told him he had three choices :- a course of docetaxel, a trial involving decetaxel and a new drug or abiriterone. The oncologist was basically saying she was thinking the docetaxel as he was relatively fit to withstand the treatment and then should things not work out, the abiriterone as a back up. However, she is leaving the decision up to him, came home with lots of information that I've read. My husband is not keen on reading up on things he prefers car magazines! I have a scientific background so I can distill things for him but in reality he needs to make the decision himself. It was the very first time I have heard him ask for a prognosis and it really brought things to a head I'm strong but must admit to having a bit of a wobble. Ten years down the track he has don e brilliantly but now he is telling the oncologist about pain, unable to gain sleep so he was sent home with oramorph. Just hoping he wakes with a clear head and decision. He said that he won't decide until the scans and tests results come through.
After 45 years I do know how he copes with things like this I just hate standing back and letting him get on with it
User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 00:32

Sorry to read this update Bluey - I hope that he does go for the docetaxel as it seems to enhance the effect of whatever treatment he takes on next. I sort of understand your desire to let him make his own decision although it wouldn't work in our house ... I would have to say "I've read the stuff and this is what you need to do" otherwise J simply wouldn't make a decision!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 00:32

Sorry to read this update Bluey - I hope that he does go for the docetaxel as it seems to enhance the effect of whatever treatment he takes on next. I sort of understand your desire to let him make his own decision although it wouldn't work in our house ... I would have to say "I've read the stuff and this is what you need to do" otherwise J simply wouldn't make a decision!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 06:58
I'm inclined to agree Lynn but if he is still eligible for the procaid trial I will push him in that direction,his cancer is interesting as so far it hasn't gone to the bones but rather to the lungs and possibly soft tissues but no good in second guessing maybe the new scans will say something different