I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Raised PSA and a UTI

User
Posted 13 May 2017 at 13:02
Hello, i am new here and really looking for some reassurance and i suppose support. My husband recently had issues with burning whilst urinating and then he urinated just bright red and felt feverish, so we went to see our gp and they sent the urine away and suggested a kidney function test with a PSA too and gave 7 days of antibiotics. After 1 day his symptoms subsided. He went for his PSA test a week after seeing the dr and it came back at 14.5. We went back to see our gp and they said they think they did the PSA test too soon and he has to have a repeat in a month. The gp checked his prostate and said it felt fine, smooth and spongy, no lumps or bumps. He has been referred to see a Urologist. I am concerned this is PC and the gp said they do not think it is, it's more likely to be from the recent UTI. Our gp said that they need to see why he has had a urine infection as men don't get them. He had a recent issue where his semen looked a little brown but this came back ok. My hubby isn't too bothered, but i am as my dad was siagnosed with PC 5 years ago and it's been a journey. He's doing really well so i know it's not all doom and gloom. Just concerned and can't shake off the bed feeling as i am a bit of a worrier.
User
Posted 13 May 2017 at 20:18
Hi purplenan

Sounds like inflamed vein in prostate or physical damage to prostate. Unlikely PC.

Good that he's gone to GP. How old is he, does he have other urinary symptoms ?

Repeat psa tests will give a Base line once infection or inflammation settled. My brother went up to 18.5 years back. He had TURP as difficulty passing urine. He has very recently being diagnosed however has had psa tests for years.

Gordon

User
Posted 14 May 2017 at 08:39

Hello Purplenan and welcome.

I can't advise on the medical issues apart from saying that as far as I am aware there isn't a bar to men getting urinary infections.

The 14.5 PSA could well be the result of the UTI as well as a possibly enlarged prostate.

It's good that your GP was on the ball enough to send him for testing. As Gordon says, the original PSA will give a baseline.

Take heart from the fact that his symptoms subsided with the use of antibiotic so that does indicate that he had an infection.

There is obviously something wrong because his semen was also discoloured but it doesn't have to be Cancer.

It is so easy to fear the worst. A lot of us have done that until we have an answer to our queries.

Try not to worry just yet. Once he has seen the urologist he (and you) will have a better idea of what the problem could be.

Until then, hang on to the thought that the ball is already rolling and if treatment is required then he is already in the system

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 May 2017 at 20:35
Hello Gordon, thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. My hubby is 47 and doesn't have any other issues, which i know is a good thing. Hopefully it's something simple and nothing to worry about.

User
Posted 14 May 2017 at 20:44
Thank you too, Sandra, for taking the time to read my post. I agree with what you have said and i think it's the waiting that is horrid as you have time to build up so many scenarios in your head. I'm really hoping it's just the infection that has caused the issues. He had a vasectomy years ago and a few years ago he was getting pains in his testicle area and groin, our gp said it was something (but i can't remember what) like an infection that can happen years after one. Maybe he might be prone to issues in that area? Will try to keep a positive mind.
User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 15:23
Hello,

My husband had similar to yours (infection etc) have a read of our profile.

It took a year but he has been diagnosed with PCa and we are just looking at treatment options at the minute.

I think I feel better now than I did all through the various tests as that is when your mind runs riot.

We have a diagnosis so that now means we can have a plan of what to do rather than the "what if".

Keep positive as this is very treatable.