I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advise on considering IHT

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 21:19

I am a prostate cancer patient with Gleason score 7(3+4) having mild skeletal metastases, taking hormone therapy treatment(Eligard 22,5 mg and Zorrent 4 mg) in every 3 months. Now 5 injunctions are over. My highest PSA before starting the treatment was 39 ng/ml. After starting the treatment my PSA level has come down to 0.16, 0.03, 0.44(latest). My latest Testosterone level is 0.5 ng/ ml.

I would like to get advice from others in this community,i.e. whether I am taking the right treatment, how long I should continue with my HT treatment, when I can consider of IHT.

Regarding side effects, I have low libido, erectile dysfunction, less sleep, Skin problems(itching,reddish marks,dryness etc). Nothing else as on now.

Appreciate to get valuable advises.

Thank you,

Raj

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 21:01

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, I understood the matter. My doctors say, continue with the hormone therapy treatment as things are under control and can consider about IHT after a year under strict surveillance and psa monitoring. since I am having metastasis cancer, doctors say radiation therapy may not be effective.

Of course, I agree with you that a stage will come hormone therapy will have resistance and may be required to opt for other treatments.

My question is what is the safe psa level to consider for IHT and what is the psa level to be considered to restart the treatment during IHT period, whether we can predict the revival/returning time of cancer to restart the treatment in metastasis cancer.

If you have any opinions/comments, appreciate to have it.

Thank you,

Raj

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 21:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My question is what is the safe psa level to consider for IHT and what is the psa level to be considered to restart the treatment during IHT period, whether we can predict the revival/returning time of cancer to restart the treatment in metastasis cancer.

Raj,

I don't think we can advise you on that. This is a question you should address to your Oncologist who is an expert and knows all the details of your case intimately.

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 22:36

Hi Raj,
I think IHT is more common in India perhaps because oncologists are allowed to take more risk? There are a number of members here who use IHT successfully - look up Si_ness as an example. Generally though, it isnt your actual PSA number, it is the trend that matters. Your PSA seems to be bouncing about a bit and ideally you would want a year or so of it staying stable before you consider stopping the hormones. When should they start again? Usually either when the PSA gets to a certain number (some oncos would say 5 or 10) or when the number is doubling in 6 months.

Edited by member 17 May 2017 at 00:19  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard