I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

cyberknife...

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 08:42

Hi all, hope everyone is doing ok on their journeys.... My husband is about to have his 5 cycle of chemo on Friday - he has been suffering more with fatigue and muscle tiredness these last few days, so I am thinking these final 2 sessions of chemo are going to be tough for him. After these are done though he is then heading back to India for cyberknife radiation on the prostate, and they have also said that they will  also radiate the lesion on the rib. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of cyberknife, or if you knew anyone who had undergone it ? Am just hoping that it can be really effective in reducing the tumors even more, and hopefully keeping them reduced for a long period of time to come ! His first hurdle is to come on Thursday though - blood tests pre chemo and everything crossed that there is a reduction in PSA.....  Who would have thought those 3 letters come to mean so much in our lives !!!

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 08:42

Hi all, hope everyone is doing ok on their journeys.... My husband is about to have his 5 cycle of chemo on Friday - he has been suffering more with fatigue and muscle tiredness these last few days, so I am thinking these final 2 sessions of chemo are going to be tough for him. After these are done though he is then heading back to India for cyberknife radiation on the prostate, and they have also said that they will  also radiate the lesion on the rib. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of cyberknife, or if you knew anyone who had undergone it ? Am just hoping that it can be really effective in reducing the tumors even more, and hopefully keeping them reduced for a long period of time to come ! His first hurdle is to come on Thursday though - blood tests pre chemo and everything crossed that there is a reduction in PSA.....  Who would have thought those 3 letters come to mean so much in our lives !!!

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 21:47

Just bumping you fionag in the hope that somebody can help you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 03:03

Hi fionag

It may be that you have not received replies from men treated with Cyberknife because it is not widely used in the UK as of yet, at least within the NHS where most men here have treatment. There are also a few private facilities that use this treatment here. It is yet another way of administering radiotherapy externally but in a more precise way. Therefore, I would think that potential side effects would be similar to those of those having a form of External Beam, say like IMRT or IGRT but the oncologist is best able to advise on this. We did have a man 'Roy', who had Cyberknfe or something similar to it (there are a number of more advanced machines now for dispensing RT). He had this as salvage treatment due to the cancer spreading to a rib and it did eradicate this tumour. Unfortunately, a tumour has since been found in a rib on the other side but there is no more NHS funding for him to have this treated too, even if it was considered appropriate. So in short, Cyberknife can be effective on specific targets, provided they are not many, but once the cancer is taking hold in several places, it becomes increasingly beyond the scope of Cyberknife to safely/effectively treat.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 21:47

Just bumping you fionag in the hope that somebody can help you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 03:03

Hi fionag

It may be that you have not received replies from men treated with Cyberknife because it is not widely used in the UK as of yet, at least within the NHS where most men here have treatment. There are also a few private facilities that use this treatment here. It is yet another way of administering radiotherapy externally but in a more precise way. Therefore, I would think that potential side effects would be similar to those of those having a form of External Beam, say like IMRT or IGRT but the oncologist is best able to advise on this. We did have a man 'Roy', who had Cyberknfe or something similar to it (there are a number of more advanced machines now for dispensing RT). He had this as salvage treatment due to the cancer spreading to a rib and it did eradicate this tumour. Unfortunately, a tumour has since been found in a rib on the other side but there is no more NHS funding for him to have this treated too, even if it was considered appropriate. So in short, Cyberknife can be effective on specific targets, provided they are not many, but once the cancer is taking hold in several places, it becomes increasingly beyond the scope of Cyberknife to safely/effectively treat.

Barry