I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First chemo

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 23:41
Hi all. My dad has his date for his 1st chemo next week. We're not sure what to expect. I wondered if anyone had any advice or tips. Thanks Best wishes to all
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 07:40

Morning

David wrote a very in depth thread on his journey with docetaxel, you can read it here

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12197-Docetaxel-Chemo---the-highs-and-the-lows#post152202

I hope all goes well for your dad

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 09:06

Good luck to your dad.

Hope it goes well for him

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 17:25

Take a took, too, at Mr G's post and various of mine recently. Docetaxel was described to me as a pussy compared with the tiger of Cisplatin for bladder cancer which I went through four years ago. And so it is. For most of us the side effects are a nuisance, usually confined to the first week after the infusion, with recovery in the second week and normality restored in the third week.

Your Dad should go into this with confidence and will certainly be much happier going into subsequent cycles.

Wish him the best from all of us on this forum!

AC

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 00:00

I have just seen your post, but better late.....

I finished my 6 doses of Docetaxel about 8 weeks ago.  The first problem I had was constipation which started on the first dose- I found that the Laxido they then prescribed worked very well if I took a sachet 2 days before the chemoand continued to 2 or 3 days after.

Make sure he takes his temperature regularly, I used an ear thermometer which only takes seconds; take it at least morning, noon and night- one night mine was 38.5C - I was rushed into hospital for 5 days but no long term effects as I got into hospital quickly.

My taste was more affected than I expected- the only hot drink that tasted OK was Bovril!  Cottage pie always tasted good and so did fish pie- most other things I fancied didn't taste as good as I hoped. Filtered water was OK or add a very little lemon barley to tap water.

I felt very tired but tried to get some exercise each day- I bought an exercise bike and did some walking on the level.  It has taken two months to start feeling a bit stronger.

I hope your Dad's treatment goes well.

Best wishes, Gromit

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 07:40

Morning

David wrote a very in depth thread on his journey with docetaxel, you can read it here

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12197-Docetaxel-Chemo---the-highs-and-the-lows#post152202

I hope all goes well for your dad

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 09:06

Good luck to your dad.

Hope it goes well for him

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 17:25

Take a took, too, at Mr G's post and various of mine recently. Docetaxel was described to me as a pussy compared with the tiger of Cisplatin for bladder cancer which I went through four years ago. And so it is. For most of us the side effects are a nuisance, usually confined to the first week after the infusion, with recovery in the second week and normality restored in the third week.

Your Dad should go into this with confidence and will certainly be much happier going into subsequent cycles.

Wish him the best from all of us on this forum!

AC

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 00:00

I have just seen your post, but better late.....

I finished my 6 doses of Docetaxel about 8 weeks ago.  The first problem I had was constipation which started on the first dose- I found that the Laxido they then prescribed worked very well if I took a sachet 2 days before the chemoand continued to 2 or 3 days after.

Make sure he takes his temperature regularly, I used an ear thermometer which only takes seconds; take it at least morning, noon and night- one night mine was 38.5C - I was rushed into hospital for 5 days but no long term effects as I got into hospital quickly.

My taste was more affected than I expected- the only hot drink that tasted OK was Bovril!  Cottage pie always tasted good and so did fish pie- most other things I fancied didn't taste as good as I hoped. Filtered water was OK or add a very little lemon barley to tap water.

I felt very tired but tried to get some exercise each day- I bought an exercise bike and did some walking on the level.  It has taken two months to start feeling a bit stronger.

I hope your Dad's treatment goes well.

Best wishes, Gromit