Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not the best year......

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 15:10
Hi

Following a visiting to my GP for a check up on my bladder frequency habit in December (I am 65 so so didn't really expect this as being unusual )and a blood test such revealed a PSA of 24.5 I subsequentally had numerous tests culminating in a CT scan.

I was given the news on the 16/2/2017 that I had a Gleason score of 4+5 and that the PC had spread to my right pelvic hip and left seventh rib.

To say this was upsetting does not really describe mine and our family's feeling as all on here know.

I was prescribed Cyoroterone Acetate and an appointment was made with an oncologist I subsequently had a prostap injection which is to be repeated 3 monthly.

Within a fortnight I had to attend urgent care as I was unable to pass water and a catheter was fitted which obviously added to the concerns

I saw my oncologist on the 6/3 and she explained that this was an aggressive PC and booked me in for 6X doxetaxol chemo sessions commencing on the 16/3.

On the 5/4 I had my best day to date when I had the trial without catheter and it was subsequently removed and I was given my blood test results which showed a PSA of 5.4 as at 6/3!

The next day I had my second chemo and my PSA was 2.2 as at 6/4. By my 3rd chemo the PSA had dropped to 1.1 so I hope that so far so good?

Throughout the process I have been pleasantly surprised that the NHS is treating me promptly despite the horror stories circulated......

My chemo has not been as drastic as I expected and other then hair loss and the odd ache I have arrived at chemo session 4 due tomorrow fairly unscathed. I am well aware this can change daily and have to say that PC certainly refocused our priorities. We walk between 3-5 miles daily and have generally managed to continue with this exercise.

Our thoughts are turning inevitably to what happens when the chemo finishes and no doubt my oncologist will update me in due course.

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 17:15

Mr G, welcome from one whose PCa predates yours by nearly ten years. I too was a Gleason 9 but my PSA was 63. Luckily I had no bone spread, indeed no evident spread at all. Early chemo was not an option in those days, so I've been on the zoladex and Abiraterone route until just recently, when the dreaded spread became apparent. I'm about a week behind you on the docetaxel with my fourth cycle starting next Wednesday. I too have seen good PSA drops with each cycle and my side effects have been confined to energy loss, mild headaches and slightly nausea, all quite bearable.

My point in writing is to assure you that you DO have a future and should feel confident about living with the cancer. Neither of us is likely to be cured but we should not die of the thing. That is why it is important in terms of diet and exercise to be heart-fit. We can prolong the pleasure life brings by minimising the risks of other things bumping us off. That will possibly have a spin off effect of helping to fight the cancer, too.

I hope it continues to go well with you.
Best wishes

AC

User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 14:15
Thanks Sandra

This forum is invaluable by giving us a medium to exchange experiences and offer support from others going through this time

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 16:35

Hello Mr G and welcome to the site.

I'm sure that there will be members along to talk to you who can relate to what you are going through.

I'm glad that the Chemo has been bearable.

Hopefully you'll get more information from the others

Best wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 17:15

Mr G, welcome from one whose PCa predates yours by nearly ten years. I too was a Gleason 9 but my PSA was 63. Luckily I had no bone spread, indeed no evident spread at all. Early chemo was not an option in those days, so I've been on the zoladex and Abiraterone route until just recently, when the dreaded spread became apparent. I'm about a week behind you on the docetaxel with my fourth cycle starting next Wednesday. I too have seen good PSA drops with each cycle and my side effects have been confined to energy loss, mild headaches and slightly nausea, all quite bearable.

My point in writing is to assure you that you DO have a future and should feel confident about living with the cancer. Neither of us is likely to be cured but we should not die of the thing. That is why it is important in terms of diet and exercise to be heart-fit. We can prolong the pleasure life brings by minimising the risks of other things bumping us off. That will possibly have a spin off effect of helping to fight the cancer, too.

I hope it continues to go well with you.
Best wishes

AC

User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 14:11

Thanks AC

Now we are coming to terms with the news and hearing of successful cases we cannot help but feel positive and we are both"glass half full" people anyway.
I hope you continue to oroguess through the chemo well. I had my 4th session this morning and the PSA has dropped again to 0.57 so all good and certsinly keeping up with the excercise by cracking on and cut the lawns this afternoon after a dog walk

Cheers

User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 14:15
Thanks Sandra

This forum is invaluable by giving us a medium to exchange experiences and offer support from others going through this time