I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad question again

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 09:52
He feels unwell today and said something feels "stuck" in his neck. The Mscc questions have been asked, tingling/numbness etc.

Any idea of what it could be? When he's having a bad day he always blames it on feeling like he's coming down with something.

Thanks

Bee x

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 17:58

Hello Beebee.

Sorry dad is feeling unwell. I can't offer advice but hope by replying I have bumped you up the list

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 19:12
Hi Beenee

I'm having similar symptoms. I have tingling/numbness all over. Doc has sent me for blood tests. Waiting for results ( delayed by the ransomeware attack! Read my profile for my history. Doc thinks it's a reaction to the medication I'm on to help with the bladder issues I have following the RP and RT I had 4 years ago

Edited by member 21 May 2017 at 19:15  | Reason: Not specified

Once a blue always a blue
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 17:58

Hello Beebee.

Sorry dad is feeling unwell. I can't offer advice but hope by replying I have bumped you up the list

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 19:12
Hi Beenee

I'm having similar symptoms. I have tingling/numbness all over. Doc has sent me for blood tests. Waiting for results ( delayed by the ransomeware attack! Read my profile for my history. Doc thinks it's a reaction to the medication I'm on to help with the bladder issues I have following the RP and RT I had 4 years ago

Edited by member 21 May 2017 at 19:15  | Reason: Not specified

Once a blue always a blue
User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 19:16

That's a rather general thing Bee - does he mean stuck in the back of his neck or he has a stiff neck or he feels there is something stuck in his throat????

It is important to remember that not everything that happens to him is going to be due to the cancer. Depending on the previous questions, has he changed his pillows recently or slept awkwardly? Are any of the spinal mets at the top of his spine or are they all lower back? Are his lymph glands swollen in which case has he got a temperature and possibly a throat infection?

Perhaps most important, can he swallow normally? If in doubt, phone GP or NHS direct for advice.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 20:39
Hi lyn,

He wouldn't offer any more information and closed up quickly. We have a gp appointment in the morning and he's insisting I don't accompany him. I don't know if he thinks he's putting me out or whether he's sick of the faffing around him. Treading on eggshells right now.

His spinal mets are st the bottom but mum said he had pains in the middle of chest too. He has slept a LOT today.

He can swallow normally and he hasn't got a temperature.

He's such an awkward patient as he only ever gives you half a story x

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 21:07

This is so difficult for you. There are laws that mean the GP and other medical staff wouldn't usually be able to share information with you without dad's consent but there isn't any legislation that prevents you from sharing info with the GP. Could you try phoning the GP tomorrow morning to tell him some of the signs & symptoms that you are worried he won't be honest about .... or failing that, drop the GP a note in the morning (if the surgery is near where you live) saying that you don't think dad is being honest with medics about how poorly he feels and you are concerned that dad is in a bit of denial.

That done, I think you will have to learn to respect dad's choices and wishes, even if that means more pain and anxiety for you and your mum. It may be that dad knows exactly how ill he is but is choosing to keep that from you and choosing not to have the medical care that could make him more comfortable ... all you can do is continue to love him and hope he changes his mind, but you won't be able to change his mind for him.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 21:56
The docs and nurses are well aware of my dad's tendency to downplay his pain. He has definite pain in his sternum tonight but has reduced his morphine intake by half as he is sick of being asleep. I guess he knows how much pain he can bear but I feel like he is going to wake tomorrow and be in agony because of the reduction in MST.

I think because I have small children, I'm used to "mother knows best" and I do tread carefully with my dad. It's so upsetting/frustrating.

Thank you for your replies....

Bee xx