I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting treatment for Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 12:40

I am a new boy on this forum. Because my Father had prostate cancer which spread to the bones, I have had a yearly PSA test for around 15 years. I don't remember what the early test figures were but when they reached 10 I was seen by the urologist. I had various tests, e.g., flow test and the finger (gloved!) test. I was then told nothing would be done but to carry on with the tests.

Last September PSA had risen to 15 and I was told to have a test in December. PSA was now 18. The next test in February (this year) and the PSA had shot up to 48. I then had an ultra scan (not seen the results yet.) Next was a visit to the urologist and the usual tests. He didn't say much but booked a bone scan which has now been done. The Urologist also arranged for my GP to give me a Hormone injection every three months and I am booked into see the Oncologist June 7th.

I guess at that meeting I shall have the various results and maybe a treatment programme. Since the Hormone injection my waterworks has behaved much better and I now only need to visit the bathroom 3 / 4 times a night

Jon

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 13:08

Hello Jon and welcome to the site.

Bearing in mind your father's history I am very surprised that the PSA was allowed to rise so high before treatment was offered, especially at the speed it was increasing.

Have I misunderstood what you said or are you missing out something in your post? ie did the DRE not show any deformity of the prostate, no irregularities.

Had you previously been treated for BPH? (you say your waterworks have behaved much better since the hormone injections so presumably the shrinking of the prostate has had a beneficial effect on your bladder.

I am at a lose to know what to say. Whereabouts in the country are you, if, in fact, you are in the UK

I hope you get some responses from the others on here.

What other treatment options have been offered to you?

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 14:03

Hi Jon

I note your age now so other than for some health reason, or your choice radical treatment was not being considered when in your 70's?

have you ever had a biopsy in the 70's

However from this point HT (Hormone Therapy) is a good way forward. Would you consider radical treatment such as surgery or radiotherapy possibly with HT now if offered.

Ray

Edited by member 22 May 2017 at 15:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 01:04

My thoughts are similar to those of Sandra.

Do let us know what your full diagnosis is when this has been given and what if any other options apart from the HT you are having, is offered.

Barry