Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Retrograde ejaculation

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 19:45

Hi all,

Following A's FLA in March we thought he was one of the 30% who had stopped producing semen after the procedure as he has experienced 'dry orgasm' since then.

However white substance in his urine yesterday is now making us think he actually may have retrograde ejaculation. He  is still taking tamsulosin and it appears this is a potential side effect. Has anyone else experienced this as a side effect of tamsulosin? Of course it could be as a result of the procedure. He can't see the GP until Friday and we are unclear how they diagnose it for certain!

If anyone has any experience we would be interested in hearing.

Thanks

Clare

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 00:45

Hi Clare,

I was prescribed Tamsolusin many years before having cancer treatment, in my case this was to help 'flow' due to a narrowed sphincter. This did not affect the semen colour or contractions causing immediate ejaculation. With the passage of time contractions were not so forceful but semen was still expelled at the moment of orgasm. After ongoing HT in 2007/8 and RT in 2008, erections became increasingly weaker and less hard with the semen being more translucent and a smaller amount seeping out anything between 10 seconds and 10 minutes after orgasm. A few months further on and erections became insufficient for penetration. (I did not adopt the chemically assisted route or vacuum pump - perhaps I should in retrospect).

So I believe that in my case at least, Tamsolusin was not responsible for retrograde ejaculation but was probably due to the damage caused by RT, maybe aided and abetted by the HT. However, when HT is stopped I believe the effects of HT can gradually subside. However, the damage caused by EBRT and possibly some other treatments can cause a more lasting, even permanent change as described above.

Edited by member 24 May 2017 at 00:47  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 16:56
Hello I just thought that I'd add that my other half was taking tamsulosin without any problem for 2 years, then he had 10 days off to have other tests, during the 10 days off the ejaculate became dry. He is now back on it, he takes vesomimi which has tamsulosin in. The urologist said it is definitely the cause of retrograde ejaculation. Seems odd that it started when he took 10 days off. He was told not to worry about it. No harm will be done. So he's getting used to it.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 00:45

Hi Clare,

I was prescribed Tamsolusin many years before having cancer treatment, in my case this was to help 'flow' due to a narrowed sphincter. This did not affect the semen colour or contractions causing immediate ejaculation. With the passage of time contractions were not so forceful but semen was still expelled at the moment of orgasm. After ongoing HT in 2007/8 and RT in 2008, erections became increasingly weaker and less hard with the semen being more translucent and a smaller amount seeping out anything between 10 seconds and 10 minutes after orgasm. A few months further on and erections became insufficient for penetration. (I did not adopt the chemically assisted route or vacuum pump - perhaps I should in retrospect).

So I believe that in my case at least, Tamsolusin was not responsible for retrograde ejaculation but was probably due to the damage caused by RT, maybe aided and abetted by the HT. However, when HT is stopped I believe the effects of HT can gradually subside. However, the damage caused by EBRT and possibly some other treatments can cause a more lasting, even permanent change as described above.

Edited by member 24 May 2017 at 00:47  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 09:37

Thank you Barry,

I think he needs a new prescription for a different alpha blocker - I have read a comparative report one showing tamsolusin causes more retrograde ejaculation than the other types.

We also don't know if he really needs to take it but next consult in July at the 3 month period and the retention incident was scary plus no self Cath equipment should it happen again.

So I think he will keep taking tamsolusin until the GP appointment on Friday. Of course it could be the procedure but he would like his semen back if he is indeed making it.

He does seem to be a walking list of side effects to medication!

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 22:33

Interestingly the leaflet with the diffundox xl (Tamsulosin hydrochloride ) lists as

Not known (cannot be estimated from the available data)

'little or no semen ejaculated at sexual climax,cloudy urine following sexual climax'

Which seems to conflict with this:

'in controlled clinical trials, the percentage of patients treated with the α1A-selective α-blocker tamsulosin who reported abnormal ejaculation varied between 4% and 26%, depending on dose and study duration. In a long-term, open-label extension study, 30% of patients treated with tamsulosin reported abnormal ejaculation. In contrast, incidences of abnormal ejaculation related to the use of nonselective α-blockers, such as doxazosin, terazosin, or alfuzosin, generally were lower than 1.5%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812888/

For info

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 23:28

That research article is dated 2009 so they may have addressed the issue since, plus it was small scale research - there was another project testing urine that concluded tamsulosin did not lead to retrograde ejaculation. john took it for 15 years without any problems.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 May 2017 at 01:05

It could be like so much else about PCa and it's treatment where one man reacts quite differently to another, Still no harm in getting good advice on alternatives.

NB. I meant to say in my last post first paragraph 'insufficient' rather than 'sufficient' and have now corrected this.

Barry
User
Posted 24 May 2017 at 02:18

Yes I think a switch of meds is worth a try. A has GP appointment on Friday so will see what the GP says but I asked the same question on inspire and a couple of replies have said that the tamsulosin has caused it to happen to them and one guy switched to Alfuzosin after 5 years of retrograde ejaculation and got back 80% of his ejaculate.

Thanks both

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 23:46

Hi all,

For follow up on this issue the GP suggested A try without tamsulosin and he has now done 10 days off all the medication and his peeing is fine with strong pressure ( out ion an isolated coastal path yesterday he needed a pee and had a proper arc!). And .. his ejaculate is back which was missing since 26th March ( 27th he had his FLA) .

Maybe coincidence but a thread on inspire.com has la number of anaecdotal posts about tamsulosin and retrograde ejaculation..,

It was the first time he hadn't experienced a 'strange sensation' in the scrotom after orgasm too...

This maybe of interest to some.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 16:56
Hello I just thought that I'd add that my other half was taking tamsulosin without any problem for 2 years, then he had 10 days off to have other tests, during the 10 days off the ejaculate became dry. He is now back on it, he takes vesomimi which has tamsulosin in. The urologist said it is definitely the cause of retrograde ejaculation. Seems odd that it started when he took 10 days off. He was told not to worry about it. No harm will be done. So he's getting used to it.
User
Posted 19 Jun 2017 at 21:06

Hi sjtb,

That is a strange one..its a minor I know but again everyone seems to be reacting differently.

Really appreciate the contribution.

Thanks

Clare