I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New here! Am i posting in the right place??

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 08:09
Hi, I'm Selina. My dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer but as I've been mostly living in Spain while tests have been going on, I've not been present to find out specifics and my brother has been handling everything which means he hadn't always been able to ask the things that I would like to. So I'm hoping I can ask here! What a wonderful,supportive forum it seems to be!

Dad's cancer has spread to lymph nodes in his neck which is actually how we knew something was up. We gather that this means that the prostate cancer is fairly advanced. My brother didn't say that the doc had mentioned a gleeson score but had described dad's risk factor as 10 out of 10. They've started him on

Bicalutamide and he's due to have an injection next week as well as a bone scan. My questions are: 1.as he is now 80 yrs old, will this affect his treatment options? (He is very fit and well),2.he currently has no symptoms and feels well in himself - is this normal, might it change? 3.what's the situation generally with aggressive prostate cancers in terms of outlook? Thanks - and sorry for the massive post!!

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 16:53

Hi Selina

Sorry, I can't help with your questions (I am one of the prostate removed brigade) but this answer will bump your post up the 'Recent Posts' list and it will not be long before someone more qualified to answer will come along.... Hold tight.

Cheers for now,

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 22:01

Hi Selina

1: Age in itself no but other health issues or ability to tolerate some treatments might in the future. The present treatment of HT (hormone therapy) is standard in such cases as your dads.

2: not unusual to have no symptoms. However as we age some PCa symptoms such as increased frequency of water works might have been put down to just age.

3: Generally PCa is slow growing. Learning to take one step at a time is a good way forward. The first step is response to hormone therapy. Nothing you have said suggests it will not be a good response

Ray

Edited by member 25 May 2017 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 16:53

Hi Selina

Sorry, I can't help with your questions (I am one of the prostate removed brigade) but this answer will bump your post up the 'Recent Posts' list and it will not be long before someone more qualified to answer will come along.... Hold tight.

Cheers for now,

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 22:01

Hi Selina

1: Age in itself no but other health issues or ability to tolerate some treatments might in the future. The present treatment of HT (hormone therapy) is standard in such cases as your dads.

2: not unusual to have no symptoms. However as we age some PCa symptoms such as increased frequency of water works might have been put down to just age.

3: Generally PCa is slow growing. Learning to take one step at a time is a good way forward. The first step is response to hormone therapy. Nothing you have said suggests it will not be a good response

Ray

Edited by member 25 May 2017 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 09:50
Thanks for the replies. Turns out dad has a gleason score of 10 and it's likely the cancer has spread to his bones. Can anyone point me to where others may be experiencing this or which forum I should post in? Thanks
User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 14:26

Hi Selina

Will not a big difference where you post as it will show in recent conversations. However -Topics - Treatment - Advanced metastatic - with heading such as 'Bone Spread'

Or go back to your first post in this thread and change heading to such as 'Bone Spread'

Ray