Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's recovery post-op

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 11:30
Hi all

I haven't posted for a while and have only ever really posted a few times previously.

Just an update on my dad - he had an open prostatectomy in Feb. He had a horrendous time for a week or so afterwards with some awful reactions post anaesthetic and from the morphine - hallucinations and nightmares. However since then all seems to have gone well. He is now week 13 post op and has received his first PSA follow up at 0.004. He is over the moon as is the whole family. Dad still feels very tired and can be hit by fatigue at any moment (!) but he is back at work and going for his walks. This has made him feel things are getting back to normal.

The only thing is that Dad has noticed that sometimes he forgets his words, muddled them up or gets the odd details wrong and his brain feels foggy. We have all noticed it but don't make a big deal of it. It is by no means all the time but it is not getting better. Dad was told by his consultant that he has post operative cognitive disfunction which is frustrating for him. His consultant is not at all worried and said that this can linger in a few patients post op. He told Dad to give it time and it should fade.

Dad knows how lucky he has been, no incontinence issues and just fatigue to deal with but this is knocking his confidence a bit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Many thanks.

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 17:03

Glad dad is on the road to recovery.

As for the hallucinations, my John had them with morphine too and now won't touch it. Brain fog was also normal for him. Johns was following major surgery but not PC, however, it is still very early days for your dad and you also have the consultant saying it's a post op issue.

IF dad could just accept that he will be like it for a while perhaps it will make it easier for him.

I hope others come along with their experience of how long it lasted but remember we are all different and some may never have had the problems that your dad and my husband did with the drugs.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 May 2017 at 11:53
It's good your dad is recovering well and getting stronger. I had a prostatectomy in July 2015 and experienced hallucinations with the morphine post op which was very unpleasant. I too suffered from a bit of forgetfulness and still have issues when I'm tired in that I can't think of a word or words I am trying to say, I also can have issues thinking I've said one thing and others around me tell me that I have said something different. This isn't all the time and I am still managing to worki in a cvery demanding job. My colleagues tell me they no longer notice any issues with my memory which is reassuring. I am sure things will settle with your dad. The general anaesthesia chemicals remain in the system for a time hence why they tell you not to sign anything or make major decisions for a short time post op.

Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 17:03

Glad dad is on the road to recovery.

As for the hallucinations, my John had them with morphine too and now won't touch it. Brain fog was also normal for him. Johns was following major surgery but not PC, however, it is still very early days for your dad and you also have the consultant saying it's a post op issue.

IF dad could just accept that he will be like it for a while perhaps it will make it easier for him.

I hope others come along with their experience of how long it lasted but remember we are all different and some may never have had the problems that your dad and my husband did with the drugs.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 May 2017 at 11:53
It's good your dad is recovering well and getting stronger. I had a prostatectomy in July 2015 and experienced hallucinations with the morphine post op which was very unpleasant. I too suffered from a bit of forgetfulness and still have issues when I'm tired in that I can't think of a word or words I am trying to say, I also can have issues thinking I've said one thing and others around me tell me that I have said something different. This isn't all the time and I am still managing to worki in a cvery demanding job. My colleagues tell me they no longer notice any issues with my memory which is reassuring. I am sure things will settle with your dad. The general anaesthesia chemicals remain in the system for a time hence why they tell you not to sign anything or make major decisions for a short time post op.

Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4