I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Someone has asked for advice and I don't know what to say

User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 00:45
Had a phone call today from someone I have known for a while and they asked me for advice but I was confused on how to answer . I quickly realised that in the phone conversation that she believed her husband was in the cure camp.

I wasn't a hundred per cent sure on A how much she understood or B how much I should tell her . C how much she wanted to know. . Don't you just hate those conversations.

She is going to ring back so any advice on how or what I should say would be greatly received.

This is the only information I have which didn't make a lot of sense to me but here goes.

PSA 15

Bone and MRI clear

Hormone therapy started

RT is due to be started on the 10 th June

He has been cathertised since Dec

Rp has not been discussed

Any advice on what I should say and thoughts on treatment will be greatly appreciated.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 22:39

I suppose the best you can do is tell her how to download or order the toolkit and talk to her about the side effects of HT and how tired he may get as his treatment progresses. Why not click on the newbies section here and look for one of Johsan's replies - she always seems to know what to say to the newly diagnosed and their relatives.

Surprised that they are going for RT while he is catheterised but at least you can say to her that hopefully the catheter is not a permanent fixture. My guess is that he is on bicalutimide (tablets) for a short time and the RT is intended to be curative.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 23:45

As well as side effects of HT, there are the potential side effects of RT (which looks from "RT is due to be started......") to be some type of external beam. As a long standing member of this forum you will be aware of these and what can be done to prepare for and deal with them.

You could say that RT can be an effective treatment which is pain free and most men tolerate it well. You can't speculate on how it will work in the long term which will depend on a number of factors.

A suggestion to join us on this forum for support and to ask more specific questions might prove worthwhile.

Barry