I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

incontinance before rt

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 19:37

Hi all this is my very first post after being diagnosed  last sept i was just wondering how long people suffered with incontinence after having robotic rp as they say it is best to get it under control before they start adjuvant rt but my incontinence does not seem to be getting much better 8weeks post op thanks in advance..

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 22:06

Hello kdo and welcome to the site.

It is still very early in terms of healing if it is only 8 weeks post op. Yes it's true that some men will say they are continent, or almost, immediately after the op but that isn't going to be the same for everyone.

Are you (have you been) doing your pelvic floor exercises (Kegels) in an effort to strengthen that area.

By replying I have bumped you so I hope one of our men will be along to talk to you.

Don't despair yet. Allow yourself time to heal.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 08:37
K

Welcome to the site, in your profile you say you have slight incontinence, how much do you leak a day and when, is it during any particular activity, sorry for all the questions ? I see your RT is booked for July,have you had your planning scan and been given info from the RT department ?

I finished my 33 SRT a couple of weeks back, my instructions were to arrive at hospitial early, check for any delays or breakdowns,empty the bladder and drink 3 plastic cups of water (600 ml at our RT department) 15 minutes before the scheduled treatment time. Later on in treatment it took my own 500 ml bottle of water from home, even the non chilled water in the water fountain was freezing

You could practice going through the routine to see how you cope with holding the urine, so within 20 minutes of drinking the water you should be laying down on the treatment table and baring any machine problems be getting up within about 10 minutes.

Following a series of post RARP procedures on my urethra my water works are in a bit of a mess, I had to have a super pubic Catheter fitted pre RT treatment. Having the catheter meant if the urgency to urinate got too much by the end of the RT session ended I could just open the tap. I wear tenna 2 pads and on three occasions I did leak during or just at the end of the sessions​. Knowing of my incontinence problem the RT staff did offer me the use of a urine bottle in the treatment room. Once on the table in preparation for the actual treatment I had to pull the top half of my pants down without revealing my bits, I made sure the bottom half of the pants were keeping the pad tight to the penis so that any leaks would be contained within the pad. Elasticated waist trousers made the process a bit easier.

As regards the recovery of continence, I was 99 percent dry four days post catheter removal, but the series of ops meant I have had to regain my continence several times, on some occasions pelvic floor exercises seemed to do the trick other times seemed to have little effect. There is a phone app called " prostate aerobics" which has reminders and prompts to focus the mind on doing them​ correctly.

Hope all goes well with RT, it does get a bit tedious but my RT department staff were all great.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 09:55
Hi kdo

Having been through the op and RT I can only echo what Chris has said. It is still early days as far as incontinence is concerned, but I found the RT team to be very accommodating but please talk to them about your worries. In the end we all find our coping mechanism and you will get through it but your RT team have seen it all before and so are the best people to help.

All the very best to you.

Kevan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 22:06

Hello kdo and welcome to the site.

It is still very early in terms of healing if it is only 8 weeks post op. Yes it's true that some men will say they are continent, or almost, immediately after the op but that isn't going to be the same for everyone.

Are you (have you been) doing your pelvic floor exercises (Kegels) in an effort to strengthen that area.

By replying I have bumped you so I hope one of our men will be along to talk to you.

Don't despair yet. Allow yourself time to heal.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 08:37
K

Welcome to the site, in your profile you say you have slight incontinence, how much do you leak a day and when, is it during any particular activity, sorry for all the questions ? I see your RT is booked for July,have you had your planning scan and been given info from the RT department ?

I finished my 33 SRT a couple of weeks back, my instructions were to arrive at hospitial early, check for any delays or breakdowns,empty the bladder and drink 3 plastic cups of water (600 ml at our RT department) 15 minutes before the scheduled treatment time. Later on in treatment it took my own 500 ml bottle of water from home, even the non chilled water in the water fountain was freezing

You could practice going through the routine to see how you cope with holding the urine, so within 20 minutes of drinking the water you should be laying down on the treatment table and baring any machine problems be getting up within about 10 minutes.

Following a series of post RARP procedures on my urethra my water works are in a bit of a mess, I had to have a super pubic Catheter fitted pre RT treatment. Having the catheter meant if the urgency to urinate got too much by the end of the RT session ended I could just open the tap. I wear tenna 2 pads and on three occasions I did leak during or just at the end of the sessions​. Knowing of my incontinence problem the RT staff did offer me the use of a urine bottle in the treatment room. Once on the table in preparation for the actual treatment I had to pull the top half of my pants down without revealing my bits, I made sure the bottom half of the pants were keeping the pad tight to the penis so that any leaks would be contained within the pad. Elasticated waist trousers made the process a bit easier.

As regards the recovery of continence, I was 99 percent dry four days post catheter removal, but the series of ops meant I have had to regain my continence several times, on some occasions pelvic floor exercises seemed to do the trick other times seemed to have little effect. There is a phone app called " prostate aerobics" which has reminders and prompts to focus the mind on doing them​ correctly.

Hope all goes well with RT, it does get a bit tedious but my RT department staff were all great.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 09:55
Hi kdo

Having been through the op and RT I can only echo what Chris has said. It is still early days as far as incontinence is concerned, but I found the RT team to be very accommodating but please talk to them about your worries. In the end we all find our coping mechanism and you will get through it but your RT team have seen it all before and so are the best people to help.

All the very best to you.

Kevan