Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RT or Abiterone after Chemo

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 09:15
Hi

I am nearing my 5th Doxetaxol treatment and at yesterday's meeting with the oncologist he mentioned RT as the potential next step for us to consider.

I was diagnosed in February as T3B with a Gleason of 4+5 and a PSA of 24 which has dropped to 0.57 at present

I would be very interested to hear of any positive of any positive or negative aspects of RT after chemotherapy as I am concerned of potential side effects particularly as chemo has been fairly free of side effects in my case?

i akso raised the question regarding the recent successful results published with Abiterone potentially increasing survival by 37% and whether this may be applied to my case. He suggested it would be possible to include Abiterone in my treatment plan once my PSA starts to rise .as required

Has anyone on the forum gone down a similar path please as sdvice would really be appreciated to help us decide the next steps?

Regards

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 20:42

Hi Mr G,
I can only think of one other person that has had curative RT after chemo so you are very much in uncharted waters. The main reason for this is that RT is usually only given where there is a chance of cure and chemo is usually only given when the cancer is incurable.

You are an enigma!

Edited by member 06 Jun 2017 at 20:44  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 23:23

This seems to be an unusual situation and perhaps you might consider obtaining a second opinion from a different oncologist before coming to a decision.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 20:42

Hi Mr G,
I can only think of one other person that has had curative RT after chemo so you are very much in uncharted waters. The main reason for this is that RT is usually only given where there is a chance of cure and chemo is usually only given when the cancer is incurable.

You are an enigma!

Edited by member 06 Jun 2017 at 20:44  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 22:35
Hi Lyn

Well I am a confused enigma now....

The RT treatment proposed was explained by my oncologist as targeting the Prostate gland only and not the bones. I am more wary then ever now if RT if this is not a usual course of treatment? I got the impression that it was just part of their armoury

I am presently favouring the Abiterone option especially in the light of the recent published test results.

Thank you for your enlightening reply

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 23:23

This seems to be an unusual situation and perhaps you might consider obtaining a second opinion from a different oncologist before coming to a decision.

Barry