Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exercise post radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 12:52

Hi All,

I underwent a radical prostatectomy on 27th April.

All has been going well despite an issue post 8th May TWOC (bladder retention - painful!)

I was re catheterized for a further 9 days - 2nd TWOC was 25th May.

Experiencing more leakage after 2nd TWOC but managing with pads and to be honest I feel great physically if a little frustrated by the involuntary leaks!

My question relates to exercise as I am keen to get back to my normal activity levels.

I have been walking post 2nd TWOC, steady start and now up to 3 miles, I feel great and capable of doing more but don't want to push things.

I am keen to get back to cycling but not sure if this is wise or in fact when I would be prudent to do so.

I don't cover huge distances but fairly regular rides of 8 - 17 miles a few times per week are what I was doing prior to my treatment.

Any thoughts, advice or comments would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 21:12

Hi Plodder, you may need to slow down a little bit - the risk of hernia is high post robotic RP and much higher if you overdo things. Walking on the flat is less strain on your healing areas of course.

Your approach to cycling will depend much on how important erectile function is to you, and whether or not you had nerve sparing surgery. Many uros believe that cycling delays or even prevents the nerve bundles from recovering - John wasn't allowed on his bike for 7 months post op which he found extremely frustrating although it paid dividends in the long run. If you are desperate to get back on the bike (or erections aren't a big issue for you) then consider buying a prostate friendly saddle perhaps? If you had non nerve sparing them it makes no difference. You might find that you leak less when cycling because of where the saddle presses on the urethra.

By the way, I see that you have named your surgeon on your profile. There aren't many rules on this forum but naming medics is not allowed so it would be best to edit or the moderators can do it for you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 11:55

I bought John's from wiggle but here is a good summary of the things to consider about different shapes and widths

http://www.bicycleseats.com/prostate-relief-seats.html

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 13:00

Hi Plodder,
check these out too.
http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/who-will-benefit-c100106.html

Also just take a look at your current saddle and set-up, does it have a cut out or depression to relieve pressure on the pudendal nerve? make sure that the saddle is as a minimum level and potentially try easing the nose down 2-3 deg. if you get any numbness or tingling then you are likely compressing the nerve, if not you should be ok.

My OH got back on his bike about 10 weeks post surgery albeit only for a potter around the woods with the kids so not more than 30 mins at a time.

Take it easy and do it little by little.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 21:12

Hi Plodder, you may need to slow down a little bit - the risk of hernia is high post robotic RP and much higher if you overdo things. Walking on the flat is less strain on your healing areas of course.

Your approach to cycling will depend much on how important erectile function is to you, and whether or not you had nerve sparing surgery. Many uros believe that cycling delays or even prevents the nerve bundles from recovering - John wasn't allowed on his bike for 7 months post op which he found extremely frustrating although it paid dividends in the long run. If you are desperate to get back on the bike (or erections aren't a big issue for you) then consider buying a prostate friendly saddle perhaps? If you had non nerve sparing them it makes no difference. You might find that you leak less when cycling because of where the saddle presses on the urethra.

By the way, I see that you have named your surgeon on your profile. There aren't many rules on this forum but naming medics is not allowed so it would be best to edit or the moderators can do it for you.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 11:16

Good Morning,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am glad I asked the question as I was fortunate to have nerve sparing surgery and wouldn't want to negatively impact progress in that area!

Cheers for heads up re naming my surgeon - I will amend my profile now.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 11:30

If anyone has purchased, has experience of or any suggestions on specific prostate friendly bike seats that would be great! Cheers

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 11:55

I bought John's from wiggle but here is a good summary of the things to consider about different shapes and widths

http://www.bicycleseats.com/prostate-relief-seats.html

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 13:00

Hi Plodder,
check these out too.
http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/who-will-benefit-c100106.html

Also just take a look at your current saddle and set-up, does it have a cut out or depression to relieve pressure on the pudendal nerve? make sure that the saddle is as a minimum level and potentially try easing the nose down 2-3 deg. if you get any numbness or tingling then you are likely compressing the nerve, if not you should be ok.

My OH got back on his bike about 10 weeks post surgery albeit only for a potter around the woods with the kids so not more than 30 mins at a time.

Take it easy and do it little by little.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2017 at 14:27

Thanks much appreciated. Excellent link. I see my Consultant for 8 week check on June 28th and will also discuss his view on cycling then. Cheers