I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long on HT

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 15:41

why do we have to stay on HT for 2 years after 37 sessions of radiotherapy? Anyone know?

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 17:12
Hi

Some men stay on it for 2-3 years, some longer and some intermittently.

I understand that it is to reduce the risk of any further spread in the future.

To Kill/ starve any minute amounts that may be loose in the body and not killed by RT.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 18:43

It used to be for a much shorter period of time - 6 months sometimes - and there are still oncologists that do not recommend HT with RT. However, research suggests that the longer you stay on HT the more likely you are to achieve full remission so 2 or 3 years is becoming more common.

When it comes to salvage or adjuvant RT the picture is very similar - some oncos recommend long periods of HT while others feel it is unnecessary.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 22:17
Hi Shaun,

I had 37 sessions of RT starting September 2013, I started of HT (Prostap) in January 2013 with the last injection in November 2015.

Arthur

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 17:12
Hi

Some men stay on it for 2-3 years, some longer and some intermittently.

I understand that it is to reduce the risk of any further spread in the future.

To Kill/ starve any minute amounts that may be loose in the body and not killed by RT.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 18:43

It used to be for a much shorter period of time - 6 months sometimes - and there are still oncologists that do not recommend HT with RT. However, research suggests that the longer you stay on HT the more likely you are to achieve full remission so 2 or 3 years is becoming more common.

When it comes to salvage or adjuvant RT the picture is very similar - some oncos recommend long periods of HT while others feel it is unnecessary.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 22:17
Hi Shaun,

I had 37 sessions of RT starting September 2013, I started of HT (Prostap) in January 2013 with the last injection in November 2015.

Arthur