I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Testicle Removal?

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 16:18
Hi, I'm seeing the Oncologist next week to discuss my strange case.....RP last Nov.....Histology showed negative margins, lymph nodes and seminal vessels were clear....all subsequent CAT, MRI & Bone scans show clear....Wales NHS won't fund a PET scan as in their opinion the standard PET scan is unreliable for the detection of prostate cancer cells......but my PSA was 2.9 on the first test after the RP and is still 2.8 seven months later......at least it hasn't gone up!

Anyway......has anyone had their testicles removed instead of Hormone Therapy?.......I lost my left testicle 20 yrs ago to testicular cancer so there's only the other one left and that's redundant.....

Outpatient job I believe and once done sorts out testosterone once and for all with minimal side effects.....

Cheers, Paul...

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 18:49

Orchiectomy is less common these days but we do have a couple of members that have gone down that route fairly recently, one because other medical conditions meant HT was not ideal. The main argument against it is that if you have a strong reaction to a total lack of testosterone, hormone treatment can be stopped whereas they can't put your testicle back from whence it came. Also, removal of the testicles doesn't usually last any longer than HT so you might still need hormones at some point. Worth discussing with the onco though.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2017 at 18:51

PS have they tested your ALP to see if there is any indication of high bone activity? And have they checked your adrenal levels?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard