Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice about PSA readings

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 20:20
Hello,

I need a bit of advice about a recent blood test result regarding PSA. It came back with a result of 5.9ng/mL (and a free PSA reading of 14%.)

The complication for me is that I live in Spain, and although my GP speaks better English than I do Spanish it is difficult sometime to communicate effectively.

Although she highlighted the result she didn't seem particularly concerned, and I left the consultation with the impression that the reading was nothing out of the ordinary. She seemed more concerned with me loosing weight. She asked me to return in six months to re run the test.

Since then I have obviously read up on the issue and found that in Spain and the US. a reading above 4 is considered suspicious ( 3 in the U.K.). I realize from the reading I have done that the PSA marker is not particularly exact in determining any outcome and that it is only the first indicator, but I was wondering if It is considered usual to wait six months.

Incidentally I had a blood test at the end of 2013 and the result was 1.07.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 13:33

hi first psa was 5.2 rising to 8.0 6 mths later, read my profile and i have a large prostate which is what is causing the high reading, so don't panic

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 22:02

Hello Inspain and welcome
Do you have any other symptoms ie frequency of urination, pain or any sign of infection?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 06:32

Definitely a DRE if you have the choice.

It will indicate, possibly more than the PSA (or at least confirm a PSA reading needs investigating further) if the DRE show irregularities in the prostate, whether it's a hard or smooth one.

I'm surprised it wasn't done in conjunction with the higher PSA reading

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 11:19

Hi Inspain,
I too would be asking for further investigation, including a DRE. I would also be asking that they check you for an infection as this can also increase the PSA result.
I would also be looking for a retest in 3 months rather than 6. This is what we were offered in the UK when the first result came back a little higher than expected.
There are also some other members on here who live in Spain who might be able to help you out with how things work over there. Lola is the one who springs to mind but there are a few others too who may see your post and be able to comment.

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 13:04

Oh, and by the way, try and avoid sexual intercourse immediately before the PSA test as it may help give a false reading

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 12:34
Hello again

Thanks everyone for the very kind advice. I saw a urologist on Friday evening, had a DRE and an ultrasound scan of my kidneys. Nothing suspicious found.

The doctor prescribed a two week course of antibiotics to clear any infection, after which he would redo a blood test. Next move would depend on the results.

Thanks again for your help.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 13:53
Hi Inspain

That sounds like absolutely cracking news.

Cheers

Devonmaid

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 22:02

Hello Inspain and welcome
Do you have any other symptoms ie frequency of urination, pain or any sign of infection?

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 00:19
Hi thanks for the speedy reply. No I don't have any symptoms as such, and reading further about this I wasn't asked if I wanted to take the PSA test when I first consulted my GP. It was basically just a yearly check up, now I have this result I have a decision to make about my next step, which seems to me to be to wait and test again in six months or to have a DRE.
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 06:32

Definitely a DRE if you have the choice.

It will indicate, possibly more than the PSA (or at least confirm a PSA reading needs investigating further) if the DRE show irregularities in the prostate, whether it's a hard or smooth one.

I'm surprised it wasn't done in conjunction with the higher PSA reading

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 10:52
Hi Johsan

Thanks again for the quick reply, you have confirmed my own thoughts about the DRE. Where we live in Spain is a bit of a frontier town and I get the feeling that it is up to the patient to drive the issue, saying that the reputation of the Spanish medical profession is quite high, perhaps I have a less than efficient GP.

We are signed up to a private clinic in the town so I will be off to see them later today to book a DRE,hopefully that will help to clarify things a bit.

Thanks again for you help it is much appreciated.

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 11:19

Hi Inspain,
I too would be asking for further investigation, including a DRE. I would also be asking that they check you for an infection as this can also increase the PSA result.
I would also be looking for a retest in 3 months rather than 6. This is what we were offered in the UK when the first result came back a little higher than expected.
There are also some other members on here who live in Spain who might be able to help you out with how things work over there. Lola is the one who springs to mind but there are a few others too who may see your post and be able to comment.

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 13:04

Oh, and by the way, try and avoid sexual intercourse immediately before the PSA test as it may help give a false reading

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 13:33

hi first psa was 5.2 rising to 8.0 6 mths later, read my profile and i have a large prostate which is what is causing the high reading, so don't panic

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 12:34
Hello again

Thanks everyone for the very kind advice. I saw a urologist on Friday evening, had a DRE and an ultrasound scan of my kidneys. Nothing suspicious found.

The doctor prescribed a two week course of antibiotics to clear any infection, after which he would redo a blood test. Next move would depend on the results.

Thanks again for your help.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 13:53
Hi Inspain

That sounds like absolutely cracking news.

Cheers

Devonmaid