I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newly diagnosed partner

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 01:54
Hello i am new to this site after my partner was diagnosed with prostate cancer last week. We are still coming to terms with the news... he has a gleason 9.. 4+5. Has started hormone therapy and awaiting oncology appointment after completion of bone scan and ct scan. He is a very fit and healthy 69 year old with no other health problems prior to this however his consultant said the multi disiplinary team has ruled out surgery. His PSA is 85. Feel pretty devastated at the moment.
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 15:27
Hello

Most of us here know that feeling very well, the awful shock etc. I do k ow one chap who had a PSA of 79 who was told the same but as it happens he didn't have any spread (pretty unusual but it doesn't happen). The Gleason score is frightening but if it helps, my hubby has a gleason score of 10 and spread, was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and it's still here to tell the tale.

I find I don't remember much about that time now, but I know that I felt more comfortable once we started treatment.

Let us know how it goes

Devonmaid

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 18:55

The exhaustion of HT may hit him particularly hard then, as will the loss of muscle tone and strength. If fatigue becomes a problem the PCUK nurses can give advice and swimming tends to be lower impact than other exercise.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 06:49

Hello Jaynie and welcome

Shell shocked pretty much describes what most of us feel like when we get that unexpected diagnosis.

Just the word "cancer" strikes fear in us and all we can see is gloom.

We have men on here with Gleasons as high as that and with much much higher PSA readings who, despite being in the incurable camp, still live full and active lives and have done for years.

Treatments, or tweaks to current treatments, are evolving all the time so don't give up hope.

You, as his partner, will also be affected by the treatments. The man you know might change from the man you knew because the hormone treatment will have that effect. He might become more emotional whilst on the hormones and you may have to have patience for a while.

If you go to Publications on main page of this site, you will see The Toolkit which you can download and it is very helpful in describe the various treatments and their possible side effects.

Once your partner has had his MRI and bone scan results, please come back and share them. I'm sure you'll get a massive amount of support from other men and their partners.

We offer a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on. We have all been where you are now to some degree and the wealth of experience on this site and the willingness to share is brilliant.

Whatever you do, please don't despair. I won't be silly enough to say all will be well, but life isn't as bleak as you currently feel it is.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 15:27
Hello

Most of us here know that feeling very well, the awful shock etc. I do k ow one chap who had a PSA of 79 who was told the same but as it happens he didn't have any spread (pretty unusual but it doesn't happen). The Gleason score is frightening but if it helps, my hubby has a gleason score of 10 and spread, was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and it's still here to tell the tale.

I find I don't remember much about that time now, but I know that I felt more comfortable once we started treatment.

Let us know how it goes

Devonmaid

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 17:17

Jaynie, Ten years on from a similar diagnosis, I'm still enjoying life at 73. There are loads more treatments available now. Main thing for your partner is to stay fit, keep his weight down and eat a good balanced diet. Anything that is good for the heart will help keep his PCa under control by giving him the vigour to keep buggering on (Churchill's way of putting it). Hormone therapy in particular will put the pounds on without careful attention to exercise.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 17:34
Thankyou all so much for your encouraging replys... my partner is a very fit active 69 year old who played competitive sport well into his sixties and has for many years attended the gym with a regularly tweeked workout.. high intensity etc he carries not 1 extra pound and if anything is struggling to maintain his weight at the moment so hopefully all this will have a positive impact.
User
Posted 27 Jun 2017 at 18:55

The exhaustion of HT may hit him particularly hard then, as will the loss of muscle tone and strength. If fatigue becomes a problem the PCUK nurses can give advice and swimming tends to be lower impact than other exercise.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard