Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Enzo after chemo

User
Posted 28 Jun 2017 at 20:45
Hi I am new here so bear with me!

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had spread to the lymph nodes in pelvis and chest area in nov 2015. The Gleason score is 10 and has been told he has a very aggressive type.

Psa 51

He immediately started a three monthly injection of prostop which he is still having and completed a course of 6 chemo session these were completed in April 2016 since then only treatment was the 3 month injection and so far had been feeling well.

His psa after chemo was 0.2 and lymph nodes only pelvis area this has now increased to 2.9 so was put on bucotimal (sorry for the spelling) and further ct scan done.

Unfortunately the ct scan showed cancer in lymph nodes was progressing and what they believe to be further cancer in the lung. They are unsure if this is secondary prostrate cancer or another primary cancer. The scans have currently been sent to the lung team to look at. The consultant is keen for him to start taking enzo asap and she believes if he stays on his current treatment the cancer will be out of control in 3 months.

He is currently feeling okay in himself and we are concerned of the possible side effects as he lives alone he is 74 although I visit most days. I'm am also unsure of his prognosis as to me it isn't looking good I've struggled to find others threads with people who have a Gleason score of 10. His consultant is also talking about further chemo as an option at a later date this time 10 sessions and it's fair to say my dad is not keen. Anyone with any advise or experience many thanks a very worried daughter

User
Posted 28 Jun 2017 at 22:29
Hi and welcome to the forum. I won't be much help expect that my hubby is. Gleason 10 and was diagnosed on Dec 2010. He hasn't yet had chemo or any of the new drugs, though we are currently waiting to see if he is suitable for radium 223.

No one can give you a prognosis because no one knows how anyone will react but I have to say that organ involvement is a tough one, though we had some in the liver a few years back and the treatment he was put on did stop it in its tracks and we haven't seen organ involvement since. I think that in your case the cancer is more aggressive than in ours, despite the same Gleason score (which was confirmed again fairly recently). I wish I knew what it is that has prevented my hubby's cancer from taking off, if I did, I'd bottle it and pass it around here.

Good luck with the results.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 08:54

Hi Devonmaid
Remarkable success for your hubby since Dec 2010, and long may it continue however, something must be accounting for it? So whilst it isn't chemo etc out of curiosity has he changed his diet/exercise regime at all over the past 7 years? Because as you say I want a bottle of it too!!

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 09:30
He hasn't changed a thing to be honest, I think it must be in the genes, oh and the very old hormone treatment they gave him (still on it now) called diethylstillbestrill, gave him a 36B but has kept that PSA under control for nearly four years. I think the other thing is that he always said from diagnosis that he was going to make 70 (he was 61 at the time and I thought that was crazy, you know what? Yes he will make 70 I'm sure of it.

Love Devonmaid

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 10:13
Devon maid it's great to hear your husband is doing so well long may it continue.

I think for me it is all the unknown at the moment and your right no one can give a prognosis as we don't know how he will respond to the new drugs

Many thanks for your response

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 16:09

Hi again

Prior to seeing the consultant tomorrow to prescribe enzo my dad had to have his blood pressure taken at our doctors you do it yourself on a machine his results for 210/108 which is very high does this mean they will not prescribe enzo or what treatment will he need for the high blood pressure.

Hoping someone can help many thanks

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 21:25
Hi annamontana

I've been on Enzalutamide now for 30 months with great control. My psa has remained very low at .06 from that of 199 at dx.

Generally when I see my Onco I have my BP checked. It's not been very high so I don't know if it would have affected me taking the Enzalutamide. As far as I'm aware Enzalutamide doesn't have as much an effect on one blood pressure etc as some drugs but only your Onco can give you the answer to your question.

Good luck with tomorrow's appointment.

Paul

Edited by member 29 Jun 2017 at 21:26  | Reason: Not specified