I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Long haul flights while on HT

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 08:07
I am travelling to Calgary from Heathrow Thirsday 6th July(9 hour flight).

Given I have had recurrent prostate cancer, radiotherapy, and am on PROSTAP3 does anyone know what precautions I should take?

For starters I will be wearing flight socks and drinking plenty fluid.

Some say aspirin helps too.

Any advice from those who know or have travelled long haul while on HT would be appreciated. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 18:14

Although I am not travelling long haul now for 3/4 years I did it regularly with HT - prostap. I noticed no differences as a direct result of HT. normal precautions which others suggest above are fine. May need to check your insurance covers everything. But do it while you can.

I retired and thus us why I do not travel long haul

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 18:54
Thanks Andrew and Paul, your replies are much appreciated. I will get some aspirin and start taking one each day. I managed to get travel insurance which covers all my ailments and treatments of which there are a few. I agree that we should travel whilst we are able. Who knows when something happens to stop travel being possible. All the best, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 19:27

I travelled to Melbourne, Australia journey time 24 hours, I was on 3 monthly Prostap injections at the time. The journey was a doddle, no sign effects at all. Kept off the alcohol during the flight, which didn't go down too well as it was free.

Have a great trip.

Stu

User
Posted 30 Jun 2017 at 20:20
Thanks Stu I will try and avoid the free alcohol on the London to Calgary flight and keep well hydrated.

Really looking forward to the holiday after what has been a dfficult 9 months?

Best wishes, Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 30 Jun 2017 at 22:18

Hi Ian,

If you knew me then you'd know that it was nigh on impossible for me to turn down free booze. I made up for it when I met my son in Melbourne after 5 years,

I've had a small tumor show up on a PET scan in 2013, then another scan in 2016, there was no sign of the the tumor, so there is hope. I'm a little bit further down the road than you, and feel just great, with no regrets.

As they say sit back and enjoy the flight.

Cheers,
Stu

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 09:46
Thanks Stu, I read your profile and it is a while since you had the prostatectomy, I had mine July 2015. I had a PET scan December 20th 2016 too and it picked up another tumour a gadolinium enhanced MRI didn't even see. Did you have RT within a year of the prostatectomy? Am I reading that right?

It is a difficult journey but I fully intend to have a great time in Canada, got to take the chances when they come.

I hope things settle down for you, good that you feel great at the moment, long may that continue.

Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 18:13

Hi Ian,

Yes you're correct I had my prostatectomy at the end of May 2006 and I started RT in September of the same year. I had the RT at the advice of my surgeon (Urologist) to pick up the bits that he might have droped, as the PCa had broken through the capsule, stage T3b. At the time I didn't have much of a clue about Prostate cancer, so I pushed pretty hard for the RT, in hindsight may be I should have waited, as my PSA was undetectable at the time, and remained so for another 3 years. The highest my PSA as been since my op in 2006 is 3.49, and that was in April 2017. I have since started on abiratone (Zytiga), just had a blood test yesterday and I'm hoping that my PSA will come back under 1.00. Last month it was 1.84.

Good luck with both of your journeys.

Cheers,
Stu

Edited by member 01 Jul 2017 at 18:48  | Reason: Not specified