Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood pressure reading before starting enzo

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 18:43
Hi

My dad has advanced prostate cancer which has Gleason score 10 and now in the lungs.

He has a consultant appt tomorrow to be prescribed enzo however he's been to have his blood pressure done today (you do it yourself on a machine at his doctors in the waiting area) and his reading is 210/108 which having googled is not good I'm hoping he has done it wrong. Will this prevent him starting enzo and anyone know what treatment he may need to reduce this?

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 20:10

If his blood pressure was genuinely that high he would be poorly and I cannot see that they would give treatment until it is under control.

I think it's possible he either didn't do it correctly (I have never heard of patients doing their own BP in a waiting area) or he was so anxious it has given a false reading.

I suggest that before the treatment starts he mentions what the blood pressure was and gets them to retest him.

Does he normally suffer with hypertension?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 20:20
Many thanks for your response. The machine gives a print out which he has to give to the consultant tomorrow I'm hoping he had just done it incorrectly as I too would think he would have symptoms with a reading that high. Unfortunately he can hide how he is feeling so you can never be 100% sure with him

Thanks again

User
Posted 29 Jun 2017 at 21:26
Our surgery has a blood pressure machine in the waiting area, in fact my husband had a letter asking him to take his blood pressure and to hand the print out into reception. He has relatively high blood pressure so he was prescribed enzalutamide instead of abiraterone , apparently enzalutamide has slightly less effect on high blood pressure than abiraterone. But you father' s is very high. When my husband began enzalutamide he checked his blood pressure at home and found it to be high , his g. p. Suggested increasing his blood pressure medication until he gets to se his consultant oncologist .h, e sees her next week so it will be interesting to see what she says. She did mention that chemotherapy reduces blood pressure but imnot sure he wants to go down that path until necessary
User
Posted 30 Jun 2017 at 08:59

Many thanks for your response he is currently on no treatment for high blood pressure in hoping he's just fine it wrong and today the consultant will do it again with a better reading.

Good luck to your husband