Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Palliative radiotherapyQ

User
Posted 30 Jun 2017 at 17:20
Hi,

My dad had palliative radiotherapy to help with his bone pain and the tumours pressing on nerves. This was about 2.5 weeks ago and we have still not seen any improvement. He had the initial flare up of pain for a few days afterwards which we were warned about but after settling, the pain is getting worse.

We haven't increased his pain relief during this time but I've had to call Macmillan this evening to see if anybody can prescribe higher dosage for him.

Has anybody else had experience of this and felt it never worked in terms of pain relief?

Bee

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 11:04

I hope they aren't just using the phone - they need to come and see him! Sounds like he also needs a palliative care physiotherapist and / or OT visit as well. Don't be so polite that you end up not getting adequate care in place.

Also, have you had any advice to check that dad is getting all benefits he is (or the family carers are) entitled to?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 19:08

Contact A&E or NHS direct if you believe he is suffering unnecessarily. Also worth checking that mum wasn't downplaying how bad it is - sometimes we don't want to cause any trouble or be a bother

Edited by member 01 Jul 2017 at 19:10  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 01:10

Hi Beebee, I think if it was going to work you would have seen some improvement by now - it is usually fairly quick. Has someone from Macmillan phoned back? If not, hassle them and the GP tomorrow - the longer it goes on, the harder it is to get the pain back under control.

I hope someone can get dad more comfortable soon.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 08:23
Hi Lyn,

They called back and we increased his pregablin by another 25mg. Ive got to call back today to see if this has helped.

I'm gutted for him as he's been sleeping in his orthopaedic chair and he was hoping to return to his bed when this started working :(

X

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 11:04

I hope they aren't just using the phone - they need to come and see him! Sounds like he also needs a palliative care physiotherapist and / or OT visit as well. Don't be so polite that you end up not getting adequate care in place.

Also, have you had any advice to check that dad is getting all benefits he is (or the family carers are) entitled to?

User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 17:22
It was over the phone. I specifically asked them to call me back as I was taking my daughter to ballet and heading straight down to my dad's. They spoke to mum and said they can increase meds until 3 days have passed from last meds. Also suggested pineapple for his oral thrush which is so bad he can barely swallow. Our usual nurse is coming out tomorrow but he's in agony :(
User
Posted 01 Jul 2017 at 19:08

Contact A&E or NHS direct if you believe he is suffering unnecessarily. Also worth checking that mum wasn't downplaying how bad it is - sometimes we don't want to cause any trouble or be a bother

Edited by member 01 Jul 2017 at 19:10  | Reason: Not specified