I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stage 4 Metastatic prostate cancer

User
Posted 02 Jul 2017 at 04:00
My father was diagnosed a year ago with metastatic prostatic cancer, it spread to his spine. He has already had radiation and chemotherapy. His initial PSA at diagnosis was 652. The chemo only gave him 6 months now his PSA is up to 23. Does anyone have any advice on future treatment? Our Dr. Only wants to do routine protocol bit he is only 59 years old, it's aggressive and we need to take a proactive aggressive approach. He is in good spirits and looks good physically but the rising PSA is of great concern. He has already tried alternative treatments on his own including the ketogenic diet. Any help or insight would be much appreciated as I am the only child and not ready to see my dad suffer as he does not deserve this and has much more to give in this life. Willing to look into any trisls, experimental treatments offered. Thanks!
User
Posted 02 Jul 2017 at 09:40
I'm sorry to read about your father's situation. Is your father also on hormone therapy of some sort? Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Jul 2017 at 09:47
Sorry to hear about your father. Can I ask you , do you attend the consultations with him? Have you discussed hormone therapy or maybe aberaterone with his consultant? I believe that there is a radium therapy that does help with men that hAve metastasis to the bones maybe someone else could comment.
Good luck
Another thought, have you asked for a second opinion?
User
Posted 02 Jul 2017 at 17:04

I am assuming he is on hormone therapy either prostap or zoladex or another brand. In addition he would normally been offered abiterone or enzalutimide, very similar drugs. I have just started enzalutimide and it's having some impact. He should also enquire about radium 223 which is used to best effect when the cancer is active. These are the main options post-chemo which if not tried should be considered. If you can go with him you will get a better feel for this. Let us know how you get on.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2017 at 19:45

I think we need more information to be able to help you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 19:51
York Hull, my hubby is on day 4 of enzalutomide and as you probably know he is on 4 weekly checks as that is a condition of the treatment, do you know how quickly it will reduce PSA if it's going to? Would it be reasonable to hope for a reduction in 4 weeks or dies it take longer?