I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When it all goes to plan

User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 19:00

I had a localised prostate cancer and had robotic surgery in Oxford.

Before the operation I measured my penis as I had been told I would loose length.

After the operation I had a few problems with blood clots in my bladder but only for a couple of weeks, but had a night time erection a few hours after the op.

At the follow up appointment after six weeks I was told I had positive margins and was taken aback. But the surgeon said he was not worried as it was likely he got everything, and my PSA was low. Also the pathology had gone from a Gleason 6 to a 7 (3+4)

Today I had my 7month follow up, PSA undetectable ( <0.01). I have largely gained full bladder control, erections are 95% of what they were before (very usable),and absolutely no loss of  penis dimensions.

I would say that I was back to normal, and likely to be the first man in the family to survive a prostate cancer diagnosis.

I hope all you going through this nasty disease have the same luck as me, and will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 20:40
Hi Nigel

I certainly didn't have the same outcomes as you but my goodness what absolutely brilliant news.

Really chuffed for you and your family - it's always great to hear positive news and long may it continue.

All the very best

Kevan

User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 22:24
This is an amazing post, It must give hope to others in your situation.
User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 00:01
Nigel - glad to read of your good progress.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 19:39

Hi Nigel,

So glad to hear your news , I had my op at end of April this year , I'm almost dry now and erections are still happening though not quite as eager as before ! I have so far only had one PSA test since op but It came back as undetectable ,Like you ,margins also good on biopsy. Life also back to normal , I'm nearly ten years older than you and feel blessed that it was all found in time and sorted out.

I shall be ever Grateful to marvelous NHS staff for their care and thoughtfulness during diagnosis and treatment and of course not forgetting the Da Vinci robot and it's brilliant operator

Live life to the full Nigel we only get one go at it !

Kind regards and Best Wishes Rick

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 20:40
Hi Nigel

I certainly didn't have the same outcomes as you but my goodness what absolutely brilliant news.

Really chuffed for you and your family - it's always great to hear positive news and long may it continue.

All the very best

Kevan

User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 22:24
This is an amazing post, It must give hope to others in your situation.
User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 00:01
Nigel - glad to read of your good progress.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 19:39

Hi Nigel,

So glad to hear your news , I had my op at end of April this year , I'm almost dry now and erections are still happening though not quite as eager as before ! I have so far only had one PSA test since op but It came back as undetectable ,Like you ,margins also good on biopsy. Life also back to normal , I'm nearly ten years older than you and feel blessed that it was all found in time and sorted out.

I shall be ever Grateful to marvelous NHS staff for their care and thoughtfulness during diagnosis and treatment and of course not forgetting the Da Vinci robot and it's brilliant operator

Live life to the full Nigel we only get one go at it !

Kind regards and Best Wishes Rick