I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad only offered hormone treatment

User
Posted 15 Jul 2017 at 11:33
My dad was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with bone mets in his pelvis in June, he's started hormone injections and we saw nurse consultant just over a week ago to discuss option of chemo & he said he felt dad was suitable for chemo to start 2-3 months after hormone treatment started. Dad saw the oncologist this week which we thought was to arrange commencement of chemo but oncologist said they would not be offering chemo because of my dads age & other medical problems (he's 79, fully mobile, totally compus mentus & has well controlled hypertension, had 2 hip replacements for osteoarthritis 12-14 years ago).
I'm totally confused and devastated that he isn't getting chemo. I don't understand at all! Any comments advice etc welcome please
User
Posted 15 Jul 2017 at 17:58

You must ask the consultant his reasoning. We can only guess at it from the limited information you have given. There are many treatment options apart from hormone therapy and chemotherapy. I've been through a few over the course of ten years. Don't despair and do get more information.

AC

User
Posted 15 Jul 2017 at 20:07

Good advice from AC. If not satisfied with explanation, a second opinion could be worth obtaining.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jul 2017 at 08:42

Although chemo has become, alongside hormone therapy, the first choice treatment option in the last few years before that various forms of HT have been the norm with chemo kept until later. I started my journey with bony mets before that protocol came into place and with HT I am still here 5 and a half years later. So check out the reasoning, see what plans they have but stay positive. If he responds to HT this could give him good time ahead.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2017 at 12:18
Yes I agree, my hubby hasn't had chemo yet and he has had mets for six and a half years. He's just had zoladex and later on, dyethylstillbestroll, both did. Sterling job at keeping the cancer from progressing until now and even now, we are starting radium 223 treatment rather than chemo (due to infection risk). Don't despair, if the oncologist has ruled out chemo it will be in your dad's best interests but do get a second opinion if you need it. By the way, he might be wanting to see how effective HT is, it is a remarkable treatment on its own.

Devonmaid
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Jul 2017 at 17:58

You must ask the consultant his reasoning. We can only guess at it from the limited information you have given. There are many treatment options apart from hormone therapy and chemotherapy. I've been through a few over the course of ten years. Don't despair and do get more information.

AC

User
Posted 15 Jul 2017 at 20:07

Good advice from AC. If not satisfied with explanation, a second opinion could be worth obtaining.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jul 2017 at 08:42

Although chemo has become, alongside hormone therapy, the first choice treatment option in the last few years before that various forms of HT have been the norm with chemo kept until later. I started my journey with bony mets before that protocol came into place and with HT I am still here 5 and a half years later. So check out the reasoning, see what plans they have but stay positive. If he responds to HT this could give him good time ahead.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2017 at 12:18
Yes I agree, my hubby hasn't had chemo yet and he has had mets for six and a half years. He's just had zoladex and later on, dyethylstillbestroll, both did. Sterling job at keeping the cancer from progressing until now and even now, we are starting radium 223 treatment rather than chemo (due to infection risk). Don't despair, if the oncologist has ruled out chemo it will be in your dad's best interests but do get a second opinion if you need it. By the way, he might be wanting to see how effective HT is, it is a remarkable treatment on its own.

Devonmaid
User
Posted 18 Jul 2017 at 05:38

Thank you all for responding. The nurse consultant had done such a good job at explaining why it was better to have chemo now so then when the oncologist said no I was shocked. But I guess I'm still shocked all together by his diagnosis. It's reassuring to hear from others about their experiences thank you again