I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Metformin

User
Posted 27 Jul 2017 at 07:00
Hi, I've been invited to participate in the trials of Metformin in the treatment of my PC...this will be in addition to the HT & RT.....anyone else out there involved in the STAMPEDE initiative please?....and if so how are you getting on with the Metformin?.....Cheers, Paul...
User
Posted 27 Jul 2017 at 07:00
Hi, I've been invited to participate in the trials of Metformin in the treatment of my PC...this will be in addition to the HT & RT.....anyone else out there involved in the STAMPEDE initiative please?....and if so how are you getting on with the Metformin?.....Cheers, Paul...
User
Posted 27 Jul 2017 at 19:29

Just bumping you up, Paul

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jul 2017 at 19:29

Just bumping you up, Paul

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 11:05

Just bumping this again a couple of years later.

Is anyone on Metformin (other than as a diabetic)?.

My blood glucose is climbing on HT, although not outside normal range yet. Consultant mentioned metformin as a good thing, knowing that I would have read about STAMPEDE. Spoke to my GP who was a bit reluctant as it's quite a liver toxin and I'm not yet above 6mmol/L blood glucose (which is not quite the point for PCa use), although I think he would allow me to have it if I really want it.

So wondering if anyone else is on it?

User
Posted 23 Jun 2019 at 12:22
I am T2 diabetic and took Metformin for about 10 years, my observation is that the side effects are directly related to the dose level. At lower doses the side effects for me were very minor, but at higher doses the side effects became a real issue. We all vary so some do not get any side effects at all, others do. There is an extended release version that helps a lot with side effects.

I no longer take metformin and now manage my diabetes with diet and exercise. Interestingly, I was still taking metformin at the time of my diagnosis.

My Blood Glucose is measured by taking blood and doing an HbA1c test, this measures blood sugars over a period of some ( 2 or 3 ) months and is more accurate for most purposes.

Metformin is best started at the lowest dose and built up over time.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 26 Jun 2019 at 10:45

Saw my GP again today, and he's let me have metformin.

STAMPEDE dose docs said 850mg, initially once a day, and escalate to twice a day after a month if tolerated well.

My GP said they don't normally prescribe the 850mg dose any more. It's been replaced with a 500mg slow release dose which is less harmful to the stomach, and doesn't generate large fluctuations in level like the 850mg dose did, so that what I've got. Starting with one tablet per day, and I can escalate to two if I want to.

It's not allowed with contrast dyes for CT/MRI scans (they're both quite a load on the kidneys), and having had one of those yesterday, I will wait a day or two more before starting it.

What side effects did you have? GP mentioned it can impact bowel movements, and some people come off it due to that.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2019 at 14:19
My side effects were :- Loose bowels, wind ( bottom burps!), cramping, and a slight nauseous feeling.

They can ease after time and not everyone gets them.

Some foods are best avoided, mainly those that are windy, beans, sprouts etc.

Take care when bending down in company :-0

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01