I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad diagnosed yesterday - so worried about high Gleason Score 9 (4+5)

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 11:16

Hello

my dad was given a PC diagnosis yesterday.  He went for a private examination after his PSA showed as being raised as result of private health screening.  PSA was only 7 and he has had no symptoms, but we are all so worried by the fact that the cancer is high grade.

He has started on Hormone therapy and is awaiting Bone and MRI scans following by oncologist appointment.  Consultant suggested Radiotherapy is likely.  

We are so worried that it has spread.  I suppose I am looking for good new stories from others who had high grade PC.

Thank you

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 17:15
Hi there
It's understandable that you feel a bit apprehensive but there are loads of us on this site with Gleason 9 and information is the key to getting your situation into perspective. I would suggest that a good start is to download the TOOLKIT from this site, pour a drink, feet up and have a good read of the information. Hopefully this will help to reassure you that there are many treatments available depending on what all of the results show and it will help you to focus on the questions you may need to ask your team.
Try not to be rushed into treatment without understanding potential side effects versus possible outcomes.
I was diagnosed in June 2015 and having had my prostate removed and then Radiotherapy my PSA has just dropped to undetectable after starting HT 4 months ago. My PSA was 10 prior to my op. In my case I have had side effects from the treatments but they have not stopped me getting on with my life as I did before but everyone is different.
I am sure that some of the members with more detailed knowledge will be along to give more information but I just wanted to give you some reassurance that there is everything to play for.

Best wishes to you all.

Kevan
User
Posted 30 Jul 2017 at 21:52

Hi lylejb
Just to say even if it has spread there are treatments that will help. My husband's has spread to both bones and lymph nodes. He's on HT and Chemo. He's still been able to work most days and feels fine most of the time. The waiting is the most difficult time both for the scans and then for the results. Keeping positive will help. There are some really amazing stories on here.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 17:15
Hi there
It's understandable that you feel a bit apprehensive but there are loads of us on this site with Gleason 9 and information is the key to getting your situation into perspective. I would suggest that a good start is to download the TOOLKIT from this site, pour a drink, feet up and have a good read of the information. Hopefully this will help to reassure you that there are many treatments available depending on what all of the results show and it will help you to focus on the questions you may need to ask your team.
Try not to be rushed into treatment without understanding potential side effects versus possible outcomes.
I was diagnosed in June 2015 and having had my prostate removed and then Radiotherapy my PSA has just dropped to undetectable after starting HT 4 months ago. My PSA was 10 prior to my op. In my case I have had side effects from the treatments but they have not stopped me getting on with my life as I did before but everyone is different.
I am sure that some of the members with more detailed knowledge will be along to give more information but I just wanted to give you some reassurance that there is everything to play for.

Best wishes to you all.

Kevan
User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 17:53

Hi
You can click people's pictures and read their profiles. I am G9 and had psa of 43 at surgery which was 25 months ago ! I was diagnosed roughly 3 whole years ago and am fine although psa is rising. I've not had RT yet but have had HT. I did have spread to lymph nodes but scans still not showing any worse spread so not treating something we can't see. That's our choice.
Best wishes with it all and keep posting
Chris

User
Posted 30 Jul 2017 at 21:52

Hi lylejb
Just to say even if it has spread there are treatments that will help. My husband's has spread to both bones and lymph nodes. He's on HT and Chemo. He's still been able to work most days and feels fine most of the time. The waiting is the most difficult time both for the scans and then for the results. Keeping positive will help. There are some really amazing stories on here.