I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need input

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 04:01
My husband has had quite a few urinary problems in the last year. He has had chronic UTI's and is on meds for enlarged prostate. He has frequency, urgency and sometimes barely makes it to the bathroom in time. Also from time to time his urine is very strong smelling. He had a recent yearly exam and his PSA was 6.2. He is 65 years old. The Urologist decided to put him on a course of Cipro for 2 weeks then repeat the PSA after 4 weeks. It had risen to 6.4. Now he is scheduled for a biopsy in 2 weeks. I am wondering if it is common in cancer for the numbers to jump up in that short of a time. I am praying this is infection or prostatic. His DRE was normal. I am very frightened.
User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 08:58

A little fluctuation like that is usually down to infection or the DRE but the GP is wise to refer him on for a biopsy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 11:30

my psa was 5.2, 6 mths later it had risen to 8
had biopies all came back negative, but uro told me i had a large prostate which is why the psa is high
due for a follow up psa in 3-4 mths time for another check
So your OH psa of 6.4 could be due to his large prostate
I am on no medication , I just manage my urinary symtoms

check my profile

Edited by member 02 Aug 2017 at 11:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 15:40

"strong smelling urine". Is it also a darker colour? This sometimes happens because a man is trying to reduce urgency by restricting fluid intake and the opposite of what he wants happens. UTI's are not always easy to find and some do not readily respond to antibiotics so may require further and longer course of same or other antibiotics. It's good to resolve a UTI so this can be ruled out as the reason for any significant increase in further PSA tests. However, as he is now having a biopsy, this stands a good chance of finding any cancer, though this is not a certainty.

Barry