I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel Insurance with Active Surveillance

User
Posted 09 Aug 2017 at 20:29

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in July PSA 2.9,  gleason 6 and was only in one core of twelve at biopsy at under 5%. We were advised that Active Surveillance would be a good option for him. I am thinking how it will affect our travel plans going forward and wondering if anyone on AS has found travel insurance that will cover them should they need to cancel any planned trips should their PSA rise suddenly and they want to have treatment? Also where is the most reasonable place to get insurance when on AS. Thanks for your help, Emma

User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 06:20

Try insureandgo. I've had RP and RT and it didn't hardly effect the premium. It's usually more expensive if you are on active treatment

Bri

User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 07:18

Hello again Emma.

We have never had trouble getting insurance for John's PC, even treated.

When he was on AS he declared it and at most it put the premium up by a few pounds.

The thing about holiday insurance is that you are unlikely to need cover for PC whilst you are away.

There is nothing going to happen in a fortnight away that will require Mart's PC to be an emergency issue.

I now do comparisons websites for our holiday insurance. I do declare everything, including PC, and let the comparison website sort out which insurers will cover a man with cancer.

Some on here get cover via their banks. Some might not even declare the PC if they are at your stage since you probably won't be rushed off to hospital with PC symptoms if he is at the AS stage but I'm not suggesting you do that.

Check your bank doesn't offer you holiday insurance. IF they do, contact them and explain and you may be pleasantly surprised to find Mart's PC is not currently an insurance issue

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 08:47

Hi
I have been on AS for over 4 years and have used InsureAndGo for my travel insurance. The PC does increase the premium, but not too badly.

Make sure the PC is declared, in the event of a claim insurers may declare your cover invalid if any pre-existing condition is not declared. Even if a claim is not related to the condition.

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 06:20

Try insureandgo. I've had RP and RT and it didn't hardly effect the premium. It's usually more expensive if you are on active treatment

Bri

User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 07:18

Hello again Emma.

We have never had trouble getting insurance for John's PC, even treated.

When he was on AS he declared it and at most it put the premium up by a few pounds.

The thing about holiday insurance is that you are unlikely to need cover for PC whilst you are away.

There is nothing going to happen in a fortnight away that will require Mart's PC to be an emergency issue.

I now do comparisons websites for our holiday insurance. I do declare everything, including PC, and let the comparison website sort out which insurers will cover a man with cancer.

Some on here get cover via their banks. Some might not even declare the PC if they are at your stage since you probably won't be rushed off to hospital with PC symptoms if he is at the AS stage but I'm not suggesting you do that.

Check your bank doesn't offer you holiday insurance. IF they do, contact them and explain and you may be pleasantly surprised to find Mart's PC is not currently an insurance issue

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 08:47

Hi
I have been on AS for over 4 years and have used InsureAndGo for my travel insurance. The PC does increase the premium, but not too badly.

Make sure the PC is declared, in the event of a claim insurers may declare your cover invalid if any pre-existing condition is not declared. Even if a claim is not related to the condition.

Alan

User
Posted 22 Aug 2017 at 10:55

Thanks everyone, I will try the options you suggest, thanks for your replies, much appreciated, Emma

User
Posted 22 Aug 2017 at 12:20
It might be worth getting quotes from Insurancewith or Holidaysafe