Show search

Notification

Error

BPH & prostate massage

User
Posted 12 Aug 2017 at 16:36

Hi Folks

I was diagnosed last may , 2017 with BPH (very large prostate),

My psa was 8.0, biopsies all came back negative.

I have moderate symtoms  with the BPH, which I am managing with ''life style'' change

Now my question is

I have read that ''Prostate massage'' can help my symtoms, 

so

1. does anyone on here know if it can help??

2. can prostate massage do any harm to my prostate

If anyone has any experience, i would appreciate your findings

Thanx

User
Posted 13 Aug 2017 at 18:09

Prostate massage can cause serious damage if done by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing. The medical view generally is that prostate massage is as useful as snake oil, and there has been some research that suggests massaging a prostate that is cancerous can increase the likelihood of mets.

Be guided by your own consultant if you are still under one, or the GP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2017 at 18:42

I understand that some doctors can offer this treatment, administered, via the back passage, using surgical gloves! It is unproven but may help. The tricky thing would be to find a doctor with relevant experience, prepared to try it. Even then it may be of no help. Perhaps someone else has a positive experience to offer?

AC

User
Posted 12 Aug 2017 at 23:58

I raised the possibility of 'Prostate massage' a number of years ago. At the time we had a GP (active or retired) on the forum and he was adamant that this procedure was of no use. I will try to find the thread but it was under the old format so this may prove too difficult to do.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Aug 2017 at 18:42

I understand that some doctors can offer this treatment, administered, via the back passage, using surgical gloves! It is unproven but may help. The tricky thing would be to find a doctor with relevant experience, prepared to try it. Even then it may be of no help. Perhaps someone else has a positive experience to offer?

AC

User
Posted 12 Aug 2017 at 23:58

I raised the possibility of 'Prostate massage' a number of years ago. At the time we had a GP (active or retired) on the forum and he was adamant that this procedure was of no use. I will try to find the thread but it was under the old format so this may prove too difficult to do.

Barry
User
Posted 13 Aug 2017 at 18:09

Prostate massage can cause serious damage if done by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing. The medical view generally is that prostate massage is as useful as snake oil, and there has been some research that suggests massaging a prostate that is cancerous can increase the likelihood of mets.

Be guided by your own consultant if you are still under one, or the GP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard