I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Consutation 17th August 2017

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 12:54

Hi to everyone out there . I saw my Consultant yesterday and as I had already said on my first post 3 days ago I was preparing to be told  that I would be heading for Chemo ( Docetaxel ) As usual my youngest son came with me as he does with all my appointments but on this occasion I was also accompanied by my wife .

The results of the scans revealed two new areas of  Bones Cancer  ( a new one in the Spine and a new one in the ribs ) this is addition to the Cancer already in these areas . But the good news was that these Cancers had shrunk in size . On the down side my  PSA had increased from 15 to 19 over a 2 week period  .  I had previously  discussed with my Consultant 6 weeks ago that Enzalutamide  was becoming less effective in controlling my PSA levels and it was time for a change .  

I was given  3 choices

1 Chemo

2 Radium 223

3 Diethystilbestrol

I had done quite a bit of research into having the 10 sessions of Chemo and  I had looked at Radium 223 but knew nothing about the 3rd option . This was apparently used a lot before the introduction of the wonder drugs , such as  Enzalutamide and Arberitone .  I was told I could not go onto Arberitone as the NHS would not pay for it  because I had already had Enzalutamide and self funding the drug wasn't an option largely due to the cost involved.    

After a discussion with my wife and my son I decided to go for Diethystibestrol . I decided against Chemo  .  This is something that is an option for  later on plus I am currently still working and although I am self employed I was rather concerned at coping with the all the downsides of Chemo whilst running my business   .  

Radium 223 was also ruled out at this moment in time  .

My Consultant is also arranging for me to attend  The  John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and also The Royal Marsden in Sutton with a view to the possibilities of going on trials that may be available to me .

There is always a lot to take in when you are at the hospital so when we left we headed for the nearest pub for a well earned pint .

30 years ago I had an Ileostomy . That was a real life changer . At first I believed it had wrecked my life but as with everything else you learn to live with the changes . I have also had 2 Hernia operations in connection to the Ileostomy

About 18 months ago after a scan for Kidney Stones they discovered blood clots on my lungs . As a result of these clots I will be on Warfarin for the rest of my life.

After putting off the op last year I finally had the operation 2 weeks ago today . I had up to 15 Kidney stones removed   . I was peeing up to 30 times a day . Very painful  !!!

And for almost 4 years I have had Stage 4 Prostate Cancer . For me it was diagnosed as a result of a routine blood test . Its not what I would have wanted but I live with it . I still enjoy life but do get very tired on a daily basis and I have the man boobs and an expanding waist line that jut seem to come as standard with the medication I am on  .    

I now have appointments at Stoke Mandeville on a weekly basis for one thing or another .

And today I have a tooth ache and I can't get an appointment for nearly 2 weeks !!! God bless the NHS

Life and its colourful path - if you can't beat it just join it .

Thanks to all for reading and I would welcome any comments that any of you may have  on Diethystilbestrol

Ronnie

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 14:42

Wow Ronnie, somebody's got it in for you haven't they !

Perhaps you could tell the dentist about your health (if you haven't already) and explain that the toothache is causing extra stress and with all the pother things going on in your life,dealing urgently with the toothache would be one less thing to worry about.

Our dentist's receptionist always asks if you are in pain and if you say yes she finds a place for you. Perhaps you just need to emphasise how uncomfortable you are.

You must know the NHS inside out !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Aug 2017 at 12:36

Hi Johsan 

Thanks for reply 

Must all be down to what I did in a previous life !!

The NHS must shudder when they hear my name !!

Keep smiling 

Ronnie 

User
Posted 20 Aug 2017 at 17:46

Ronnie, I can't help on your main request, but I can assure you that you can walk in to any NHS dentist if registered there and get emergency treatment that day. You may have to wait for a slot that day but if you have toothache you will NOT have to wait two weeks. NHS dentists want your money asap! If you can't get that service change your practice.
Good Luck.

AC