I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Positive stories needed.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2017 at 19:58
Hi everyone. This is my first post on here. My dad was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Last week he attended further scans to see if it had spread. The scans have shown it's travelled into his lymph nodes and a rib! Just one rib I think. Consultants rang him a few days ago and told him this but also not much else. They have said its very treatable. He has to go back this week to start hormone therapy and discuss further and more treatment. His original Gleason score was a 9. HAs anyone had any similar diagnosis with positive stories. I think we need a little positivity at the moment. He's a fighter my dad. But also a worrier. So some positivity is needed. Thank you in advance.

Hopefully we will know much more Friday. They also don't seem to rush do they? Consultants I mean 😳

User
Posted 26 Aug 2017 at 21:38

Hi , so sorry to hear of dads news but it's likely he's going to be around for a lot longer yet !!! I was 48 when diagnosed with G9 T4 N1. I had a rib looking dodgy. I had full surgery but I don't think they will offer him that if they have seen spread. They missed my spread. I am 26 months post surgery and in good health. I did a year on HT but am having a 'holiday'. I will have to start again soon though. I hope things go ok and keep posting. Great advice on here

User
Posted 26 Aug 2017 at 22:40

Hi Nelly80 ,don't write your dad off yet ! My OH Gary was diagnosed 20 months ago PSA 23 Gleason 9 and spread to lymph nodes .After all the scans were completed he was put onto hormones and offered chemo ,which had just been passed to give early on in diagnosis rather than later .Yes we were frightened and expected the worst but after having 6 sessions of chemo which went without to many side effects garys PSA is now undetectable .we try to stay positive and enjoy our new life ,and mostly we do .Once the treatment starts to show results it does become easier .
Stay strong for each other and ask as many questions as you like ,there is always someone that will have the knowledge to help.
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 27 Aug 2017 at 07:30

Hello Nelly and welcome

You will get a lot of support and positivity on this site so please don't give up yet.

Good luck to dad. It's good that dad is a fighter and with the support of others on here who have been through the same thing, I'm sure that it will help to reduce his worry.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Aug 2017 at 18:28

Nelly80, You should not be heartbroken about your Dad. He has a complaint which none of us on here wanted, but which has not caused we survivors to become heartbroken. Your Dad has a diagnosis not unlike mine made ten years ago. We can give better advice if you supply much, much more information about your Dad and his diagnosis. For now, it is enough to know that there are loads of treatment options available, more with every year that passes. He should be able to enjoy the next ten years at the very least, as I have the past ten, and live his life to the full. You can get over your heartbreak, be positive and encourage him to become so, too. Your approach to his future will colour his approach. A positive approach makes a world of difference.

Good Luck,

AC

User
Posted 27 Aug 2017 at 19:24

Well said AC
Debby

User
Posted 27 Aug 2017 at 20:39
Hi

I'm hoping that my hubby's story will help, Gleason 10, spread to five bones and lymph, PSA 25., aged 61. That was nearly seven years ago! We still have fun, lots of ups and downs but nonetheless we have good times and are grateful for them. Keep smiling, youlll be surprised at how well your dad does.

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 11:59

Hi Nellie

I haven't posted for over 3 months as seldom come on site much now.  However saw your post and updated my profile

(which includes both myself and my brother).   I meet an 'old friend' (he's young at 67)  last week I hadn't seen for 2 years, who actually helped me a great deal in having my first biopsy. (ie timing).  He had to 'fight' to get his original PSA tests over 10 years ago. Do stay informed and in control. 

You don't say how old dad is, just make sure you stay informed, ask and question 'options'.  Everyone is unique.  

I saw so much difference in how my brother, myself and my friend have all been 'dealt with'.    The major difference being I had to ask and probe to get answers, whereas my brother (lives in Australia) was served up with all his data online (if he required that) and a customised treatment plan covering 5 months  (none of us used private med).   I can not fault NHS at all, excellent service .

There will be lows and highs, perfectly normal. 

All the very best  - Gordon

PS - just click on my name / profile to see more info / background / latest news as hopefully it provides some more facts  (apologies it might be a bit disorganised !)    

Edited by member 28 Aug 2017 at 12:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 21:31
Hi Nellie,

It all seems so terrible at first and all of us have been in that awful place where you are at the moment . It's very scary when I look back at my initial posts on this forum it seems like a life time ago .

Our initial stats a PSA of 13000 with bone mestasis throughout whole torso and kidney , we didn't have a Gleason as there wasn't much point and our journey since then has had many twists and turns but that is the whole point of my message , it is a journey and our journey has lasted over 4 years so please don't despair even with the worst case scenario there is life beyond a terminal diagnosis.

BFN

Julie

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 21:56

Hi Nellie,

I was diagnosed Gleason 9 over ten years ago, at the time the consensus was that I wouldn't have lasted this long.

I won't pretend that I have been anything other than lucky, many better men than me haven't fared so well.

I won't bore you with detail, its all in my profile, suffice to say I am enjoying life, not currently receiving any form of treatment and my last PSA was 0.2.

PCa may get me in the end, but in the meantime I am enjoying growing old.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 23:31

Hi nelly80,

You'll get lots of positive replys here as many people are in simliar situations and dx's. Everyone responds in different ways but the common thread is to be positive. The are lots of current and progressive treatments. Some may work and some may not. But we keep trying different combi until it's exhausted. Mine, I hope will be 10-20-30 years away, don't know but we just keep at it. I was Gleason 9 t3a no and PSA 294. There's been ups and downs but we just keep at it.

Good luck for your dad

Steven