I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just need to talk

User
Posted 11 Sep 2017 at 00:44
Being just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Gleason score of 8 . Waiting to get CT scan and bone scan done in a week. My head can't stop spinning
User
Posted 11 Sep 2017 at 08:52

Frank
I like you was diagnosed as Gleason 8 back in Feb/march 2017, with extensive bone mets. I also had x-rays, CT scans, MRI, and a bone scan all within a few weeks, ( god bless the NHS), so Click on my profile for further details of my PCa journey which will also be updated later after I meet with my Onco re my new way ahead treatment, (as I've recently finished, (July), my 1st 6 infusions of chemo). At the moment I feel fine and I'm still able to play golf, walk and cycle as required.
good luck with your PCa journey.
Valleyboy.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2017 at 08:53

Hello Frank and welcome to the site.

It is a lot to take in when you get that first diagnosis but the first thing to remember is not to panic.

OK so a Gleason of 8 isn't brilliant news (What was your PSA by the way?) but I'm sure there will be a few options for you.

I see you are in Canada so perhaps treatments and protocols are different there.

Be that as it may, there are many on here who fully understand and appreciate how you feel so if you need to talk then here is a good place to start.

Ask away any questions you may have, no question is stupid or taboo if you have a genuine need to know the answer.

Your treatment will be different to what my husband went through because his Gleason was lower but I'm sure you'll get a lot of help and support from our members.

The waiting is the hardest part at the beginning because your mind goes into overdrive. You will find it easier once the full diagnosis is made and a treatment plan in place. I know that's hard to believe at the moment but trust me, there are lots of folk on here who will agree.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 11 Sep 2017 at 08:54  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Sep 2017 at 09:09
Hi Frank

Welcome to the Forum and hopefully you will find,as I did, that there are very generous people here will share experience and advice. I am sure that most of us have experienced that feeling of bewilderment when first diagnosed and I think most of that is due to our lack of understanding about what is happening. If you check out this site you will find the Toolkit which you can download and which will is extremely good at explaining symptoms, treatments and possible side effects. If you can make time to sit down quietly and read this information the fear and confusion will dissipate. It will also help you to know what questions to ask your team about treatment choices before rushing into any decisions.Once you have all of the results of the tests you and your team will be in a better position to make these decisions. I was diagnosed 2 years ago as a Gleason 9 and am still working part time, walking a lot, riding my motorbike and just got back yesterday from a week in New York - so life goes on. I won't lie to you and pretend that nothing changes because there can be side effects from some of the treatments but if you are prepared to adapt to accommodate these then you can still live your life. Many people with more knowledge and wisdom will be along to offer support I am sure but please don't despair, there are thousands in this club all of us unique with the cancer in common.

Keep us up to date with results and this will help others who are also in this position.

Kind regards.

Kevan