I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

8 of 20 sessions RT and very weak flow?

User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 07:59
I'm 8 sessions into 20 fractions of RT with the Varian True beam. The main side effect I'm having is having a pee! In the morning it can take almost 5 mins to go start to finish with a very weak stream almost a trickle! Feels like urethra is being strangled! I've been taking Tamsalusin for around 4 years prior to diagnosis and now wondering if it's now having little effect? I have a weekly meeting with the radiologist tomorrow but wondered if others had suffered the same?
If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there!
User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 14:38

Just bumping you MisterB.

Good luck with the meeting. Perhaps the RT has affected the ability to flow

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 Sep 2017 at 07:36
Mister B

Just be aware retention comes in two forms, ""Acute urinary retention is the sudden and often painful inability to void despite having a full bladder. Chronic urinary retention is painless retention associated with an increased volume of residual urine,i.e.not voiding the bladder ""

There are a number of things that can slow the flow apart from a restriction in the urethra, constipation is often cited as a cause of acute retention.

Acute retention is quite unpleasant and if you do get into that situation get help straight away.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 14:38

Just bumping you MisterB.

Good luck with the meeting. Perhaps the RT has affected the ability to flow

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 16:40
Mister B

Not quite in the same boat because my urethra was already in a bit of a mess before salvage RT. I had a super pubic Catheter fitted before RT started because there was a fear the urethra would close up.

You might want to discuss intermittent self catheterisation with your team and being supplied with some Catheters in case you go into retention.

In my experience ISD is easy to do and is far preferable to being in retention.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 17 Sep 2017 at 19:53

Thanks Chris, I was tested on Friday after the session to see if I was emptying my bladder completely. Passed that test so retention doesn't seem to be an issue at this point. I'm now talking to my Urologist who's considering if a Tamsulusin in the morning and then again in the evening might help!

If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there!
User
Posted 18 Sep 2017 at 07:36
Mister B

Just be aware retention comes in two forms, ""Acute urinary retention is the sudden and often painful inability to void despite having a full bladder. Chronic urinary retention is painless retention associated with an increased volume of residual urine,i.e.not voiding the bladder ""

There are a number of things that can slow the flow apart from a restriction in the urethra, constipation is often cited as a cause of acute retention.

Acute retention is quite unpleasant and if you do get into that situation get help straight away.

Thanks Chris