Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sticking catheter

User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 20:27
Hi all.

I have a wee question with regards self catheterisation. I have self cathertised now for about 13 months with little problem.

Lately the catheter has started to stuck a wee bit during removal.

Does anyone else have this problem, is yes what did you do to overcome it.

Cheers.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 21:24
Sanders

I have had sticking Catheters in the past and I have also pulled lumps out of of the bladder/ urethra in the past. On one occasion I think mine was sticking on the hem o Lok clip on other occasions it was getting stuck on the scar tissue that was growing. As you an old hand at ISD you probably know not to panic and leave it in for a couple of minutes and relax by retrying. Turning it slightly as you remove it sometimes works. I assume you are letting them soak in the fluid for enough time. Sadly when mine started sticking it was soon followed by another dilatation.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Sep 2017 at 21:26

Sticking on the way out seems a bit odd to me. Sticking on the way in I could understand, particularly going through (what remains of) your sphincter. I may be a bit unusual (no comments please) but had no trouble at all with self catheterisation. I suppose it is possible that you are developing a stricture at some point in the urethra, so it might be worth getting medical advice if it is bad enough to be causing problems.

Has the brand of catheter been changed recently or has the lubricant formulation been changed?

Does it always stick at the same point during removal? If so, do you have a rough idea of what point inside you the sticking is happening?

One other possible thing to consider. Have you made a change to what you eat and drink to alter the composition of your urine? That might affect the lubricant on the outside of the catheter and make it stick.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2017 at 07:58

It might just be a "bad" batch of catheters. I had a similar experience, which resulted (I reckon anyway) in the catheter "grazing" the urethra and ultimately some scar tissue forming (and another "obstacle" to cross!)

Now I make sure that the catheter is fully lubricated before insertion.

Of course it might be a stricture forming (or new scar tissue), so best to seek advice from your urologist for peace of mind.

Flexi

User
Posted 15 Sep 2017 at 13:13
Thanks all for their replies, manages to get hold of urology nurse for advice.

He thinks that another dilation may be required, told to persevere at the moment as he would be more concered if the catheter was not going in.

As far as twisting it goes it seems to work.

Will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks before going to GP.

There's no need to panic just now although getting a catheter in place again for another week doesn't appeal to me. No change of catheter or diet.

Thanks again gents.

Cheers.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2017 at 21:45
Sanders

When I was using the IQ Catheters they would get stuck and pull bits out of the bladder or urethra.I now use soft tip Catheters and do not have the same problem.

With the agreement of my consultant I started using two or three Catheters a day starting with a 12 or 14 then followed with a 16 or 18. This kept me out of theatre for quite a while. Each time I had a dilatation I had to regain my continence.

Thanks Chris