I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontience

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 12:35

Since having a salvage prostatectomy nearly two years ago, I have suffered with complete urinary incontinence.  I still work and travel, but life with pads is always a complicated compromise. I am now being offered botox injections to calm my bladder and, hopefully, restore some continence.  I am wary of yet more intervention, but wondered if anyone out there had had this procedure and could advise on the outcome? best wishes. 

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 20:08

This is a risk with salvage RP - it is much harder to remove without collateral damage. A couple of members on here have had botox injections without success but since the next option would be considering whether to have more surgery, the botox is probably worth trying?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Sep 2017 at 08:07

I know that if incontinence is bad enough, the sufferer is ready to try almost any opportunity to aleviate it and the botox solution seems unlikely to cut you off from other routes if it does not work (but get a qualified medical opinion before deciding to go ahead). I found pads and disposable briefs a real disincentive to travel so switched to a Conveen sheath catheter and bag; that helped me to get back to work quickly and no, it didn't make me lazy as some urologists seem to claim. The bag is quite unobtrusive provided your trousers are not too tight, and the whole solution is available on prescription (in Wales anyway).

It's difficult, but do try not to be too downhearted. Your prostate has gone and there are other ways of getting back to as near a normal life as possible.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.