I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What lies ahead

User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 11:56

After a PSA count of 3 in late 2015 and a rectal examination in January 2017 which seemed to show no problem, my symptoms persisted and I had a PSA test in July, which came out at 77. I had always been vigilant as my dad died from the disease in 1991, so to say I was  shocked and confused would be an understatement. Since then I have had MRI, biopsy, CT and Bone Scans. My Gleason score was 4:4 and the cancer rated as T4. The cancer has spread into my lymphatic system outside the pelvic area, but not into the bone. I have begun a course of Hormone Therapy and have an initial consultation on Monday to discuss chemotherapy, which will start soon. I was relieved to hear the cancer was not in my bones, which is where it was when my dad was diagnosed but am becoming aware that being where it is, is equally serious. As regular users of the forum will know my emotions have ranged from shock to anger to denial with a lot of dark nights of the soul thrown in for good measure. I am 68 years old with a full life and a loving family and am trying to stay positive and face whatever comes my way. 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 15:54

Tommo,

Welcome to the site that no-one really wants to be a member of!

I am in a similar position to you, although my PCa is limited to the lymph nodes in the pelvic area. I started on Prostap Hormone Injections in May this year and begun Chemo 6 weeks ago. One that is done I move on to 6 weeks of Radiotherapy.

Despite the dark times that we all go through try and maintain your positive attitude however difficult things may become. There are so many positive stories from others on here although everyone's journey with our unwanted guest is individual, you can learn so much from reading experiences and advice. 

My profile outlines my journey so far and I do my best to keep it up to date, take a look and hopefully some of it may be of use to you.

All the best with you Onco meeting, for me Chemo was a no brainer!

Ian

User
Posted 07 Oct 2017 at 15:56

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your positive and encouraging words. Like you, I intend to go for Chemo. The consultant has brought it forward with the assurance that doing that has proved successful. My PCa is aggressive so the sooner it can be tacked, the better. It is apparently incurable but treatable, with the possibility of life going on after the treatment, so I shall hold that thought.

Thnaks again for your concern It is appreciated.

Chris