I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone and diet

User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 20:15
Husband had a meeting with his oncologist today after a couple of months break from treatment with the exception of prostap and daily steroids, the reason being his bad reaction to enzalutamide. His PSA has been monitored regularly and unfortunately it has risen to 6.6. So he will be starting abiraterone within four to five weeks after scans to see what the big picture is.

Our lovely oncologist gave us the patient information pack which goes with zytiga and one of the common side effects was diarrhoea which rang a few alarm bells.

He had post operative radiotherapy and that had a dire effect on his bowel I.e. Urgency, intermittent diarrhoea, so I was wondering if anyone had experienced that side effect? And, if so, what thoughts do they have about diet? I may be worrying uneccessarily. We do follow a good diet, Mediterranean in style, plenty of organic fruit and veg but fruit and veg disappeared from our diet when radiotherapy was going on so maybe that will be the same with abiraterone. Any comments would be gratefully received

User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 23:48
Hi, whilst my journey to Abbii is not the same as your husbands I have now been on it for 18 months. My PSA is at lowest ever 0.11, it started at 342 on diagnosis.

I have had occasional urgency but that is I believe more about radiation proctitus that the Abbie's. my diet is vegan with fish say 17 out of 21 meals a week. I eat fruit, veg, prunes and all ok. Like most things with this cancer, we are all a bit different however I hope my note reassures you that abbi does not necessarily mean side effects. I have found that I could easily sleep in the day but if mentally I decide not to (which I have every day!) I come through the other side and get on with life.

Take care

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 Oct 2017 at 16:37

I was on Abiraterone for three years until it failed, as is usual. It caused no diarrhoea. Too much fruit on the other hand might well cause it! Just stick to a sensible balanced diet and be prepared to use laxatives if he experiences the reverse effect! We are all different and constipation is also a possible side effect. I found abi a breeze and I hope your husband does too!

AC