Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA worries

User
Posted 08 Oct 2017 at 20:16
Hi,

My world was turned upside down a year ago when my dad was diagnosed with prostrate cancer which had spread out of his prostrate to the lymph nodes, bladder and his bones. Since then he has undergone chemotherapy and is currently having the hormone injection every 3 months which has so far controlled the cancer.

On diagnosis his PSA was 5. His latest PSA result was 'undetectable' however it has risen slightly since the last PSA result 3 months ago (from 0.1 to 0.2).

Has anyone else had experience of low PSA levels? Should I be concerned over the slight increase?

Thank you

User
Posted 09 Oct 2017 at 16:59

Hello MDbdh and welcome to the site.

Sorry, I can't help with your query so I am just bumping you in case somebody else can.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Oct 2017 at 17:39

Hi MDbdh, For the past four years my PSA has always bumped along with low numbers, but metastases occurred early in that time scale so spreading can sometimes occur whilst PSA numbers are low. It seems to have happened in your dad's case. There are lots of treatments available still for him, so don't get too concerned. I've had a single figure PSA (actually under five) for about nine and a half of the ten years plus since diagnosis. The problem is that no one treatment seems to last for ever, but with every year that passes more treatments become available, so whilst curing your dad or me isn't a prospect, extremely long survival periods are now becoming relatively common.

I wish him and you good luck!

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Oct 2017 at 16:59

Hello MDbdh and welcome to the site.

Sorry, I can't help with your query so I am just bumping you in case somebody else can.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Oct 2017 at 17:39

Hi MDbdh, For the past four years my PSA has always bumped along with low numbers, but metastases occurred early in that time scale so spreading can sometimes occur whilst PSA numbers are low. It seems to have happened in your dad's case. There are lots of treatments available still for him, so don't get too concerned. I've had a single figure PSA (actually under five) for about nine and a half of the ten years plus since diagnosis. The problem is that no one treatment seems to last for ever, but with every year that passes more treatments become available, so whilst curing your dad or me isn't a prospect, extremely long survival periods are now becoming relatively common.

I wish him and you good luck!

AC