I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Research from Netherlands on understanding risks v benefits

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 00:03

I read this tonight and found it interesting re making a decision post diagnosis:

https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2017/10/03/25450/

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 00:03

I read this tonight and found it interesting re making a decision post diagnosis:

https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2017/10/03/25450/

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 04 Nov 2017 at 18:37

I agree ........ interesting read but no surprise to me. Consultants have a natural bias towards their own speciality especially if they have just had to justify the cost of, say, a new Da Vinci machine!

User
Posted 04 Nov 2017 at 16:43

Thanks,interesting reading,though does not come as a surprise..

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 10:59
Maybe we should have a standard 'pre decision quiz'! We could say you are not getting your next appointment until you show competence at answering all these questions!

Smiling! ;)

User
Posted 03 Nov 2017 at 07:02
Hi Andrew

Please can I ask what questions you would have asked? My husband and I see his oncologist for the first time today to discuss treatment options.

We've read loads about each treatment, the advantages and disadvantages of each - but we are both struggling to know what the best course of action would be.

If you could be so kind to let me know what you'd have asked in hindsight, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks

Wendy

User
Posted 04 Nov 2017 at 16:43

Thanks,interesting reading,though does not come as a surprise..

User
Posted 04 Nov 2017 at 18:37

I agree ........ interesting read but no surprise to me. Consultants have a natural bias towards their own speciality especially if they have just had to justify the cost of, say, a new Da Vinci machine!

User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 10:59

Excellent point Devon_lad. I agree with the Netherlands report that given the nature of 'patient choice' in treatment of low risk PCA the diagnosis should be given by an independent subject expert in a completely objective way.

We were given the diagnosis by a surgeon who did tell us that we had a choice between AS, RP and RT and that an appointment would be made to see an oncologist .. but then went on to recommend a RP with what could be described as a 'sales pitch'

I think you need time between diagnosis and any recommendations being made.