Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long for the all clear after RP

User
Posted 05 Nov 2017 at 16:54
Hi all

Does anyone know how many years of undetectable PSA after radical prostatectomy for you to be condidered cured?

I had a RRP at addenbrooks last January aged 53 and have so far had undetectable PSA. My histology was Gleeson 3+4, Nx, microscopic negative margins, extracapsular extension PT3a so I think the risk of recurance is fairly high. Any advise\thoughts would be appreciated or any one else with similar case perhaps let me know how they have progressed please.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2017 at 19:04

Hi, 5 years of undetectable PSA tends to be something to celebrate but NHS guidance says 10 years of undetectable PSA indicates full remission - they tend not to use the word 'cured'. My dad got an official letter from the urology department exactly 10 years post-op telling him he was in remission. Unfortunately, his PSA started to climb and 13 years after the RP we had to accept that the cancer had come back.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2017 at 21:54
Hi Willk,

That's good to hear your PSA has been undetectable for some time.

My husband is quite new to this ( Prostatectomy booked for 24/11/2017) so we don't know what his final staging will be. All I know is, he wants to get back as near as possible to his life before the C word. I think if we were at your stage we would be happy and start to enjoy our lives again.

There is no point in worrying about what may or may not happen in the future.Life is too short for that. None of us have a crystal ball including the professionals. Try not to get too worried about the stats they are only that and everyone is so very different.

Best Wishes

Ann

User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 13:51
Thanks LynEre and Peggles, good advice I'm sure. The waiting gets more and more difficult as the next result appointment looms closer and then its easier after for a while. I am greatful that so far all is well especially having read about the journey some are on.

Peggles, good luck to your OH for the 24th.

Thanks again

Willk