I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Now radium 223

User
Posted 18 Nov 2017 at 17:31
After the good news that the bone metastasis had reduced in volume and feeling elated. Recent Onco visit brought me down to earth with a bang, to be told it has increased since my last visit 3 months ago. Abiraterone is clearly not working and have been taken off it and offered Radium223.

Biggest bugbear for me, is I have to travel 40 miles from Milton Keynes to Churchill Hospital in Oxford starting this following Tuesday 21st November.

Of course I have little choice as my PSA was over 64 at the last reading. I have seen fellow sufferers on Radium 223 via this site,and do wonder how they coped through the 6 sessions, and how they are coping now?

Kindest Regards To All

Alan

User
Posted 19 Nov 2017 at 08:51

Hello aldee.
I see that you still don't have a reply and I can't help either except to point you in the direction of ColU_FC as he has a long post about his journey with it.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Nov 2017 at 21:56
Hi Alan

We go to the Churchill for John’s Radium 223, he has had four now. He’s done really well on it but his PSA has gone from 9 to 55 and he has got increasin hip pain this time. However he does seem better than he was and we have had no real problems on it. So far we haven’t had chemo but have had palliative RT several times. I do expect that further treatment will be offered soon for John as the PSA can’t be allowed to continue to rise like this. The Radium does not stop the PSA from rising. The doctor at the Churchill is one of the best we’ve come across, clear and kind and the nurses are great. You have to go twice as you probably know, the first Tuesday for your bloods to be taken then your oncology visit and then the second week for your injection.

John often has a slightly “off” week straight after the injection but honestly, he really has been much better. I hope you get the benefits too.

Good luck

Devonmaid

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2017 at 08:51

Hello aldee.
I see that you still don't have a reply and I can't help either except to point you in the direction of ColU_FC as he has a long post about his journey with it.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Nov 2017 at 14:29
Thank You Sandra,have read the ColU posts. Not great reading, but have every admiration for his bravery.

I begin my first infusion of Radium 223 on Tuesday, luckily I'm not in pain. Can only hope it's more successful than HRT,RT,and Chemo.

Thank You once again

Best Wishes

Alan

User
Posted 19 Nov 2017 at 21:56
Hi Alan

We go to the Churchill for John’s Radium 223, he has had four now. He’s done really well on it but his PSA has gone from 9 to 55 and he has got increasin hip pain this time. However he does seem better than he was and we have had no real problems on it. So far we haven’t had chemo but have had palliative RT several times. I do expect that further treatment will be offered soon for John as the PSA can’t be allowed to continue to rise like this. The Radium does not stop the PSA from rising. The doctor at the Churchill is one of the best we’ve come across, clear and kind and the nurses are great. You have to go twice as you probably know, the first Tuesday for your bloods to be taken then your oncology visit and then the second week for your injection.

John often has a slightly “off” week straight after the injection but honestly, he really has been much better. I hope you get the benefits too.

Good luck

Devonmaid