I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy recommendation- your thoughts

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 17:02
Hello, and thankyou for viewing this thread in this supportive forum.

So far, I have had :

a slowly rising PSA (3.8 to 5.1 in 40 months

An MRI scan done which had two "equivocal " areas.

Consultant is putting me on the list for a template biopsy.

Here is my dilemma.I am a self- employed performer in Physical Theatre, and I have a job coming in 2 weeks, which ends in March.

I am torn between exiting the job for the biopsy, or waiting until March, The consultant thought this was do- able given the signs , such as they are SEEM to indicate something non- aggressive.Though only a biopsy will confirm this

But I am torn, and have to make a decision in the next day or so....

Any thoughts would help a decision...

Thanks

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 22:38

Others will perhaps disagree but my instinct is that having waited 40 months and with an onco who feels it is okay to wait a little longer, why not? If you lose the paid job and then get a clear biopsy, you will be relieved but gutted and broke :-(

Out of interest, did he say there was any possibility of getting the template biopsy in the next week or so?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 23:18

Hi there,

Just checked our calendar for Dec 2016

Thursday 8th 46 core template biopsy under general

Friday 9th stayed off work

Saturday 10th very bruised he went to villa match
Sunday 11th went to see red hot chilli peppers in concert
Monday 12tb back at work ( desk job but 100 mile journey- took trains)
Friday 16th dancing at office Xmas party ( I know bruising was worse by this time)

Can't advise but that was my husbands week following template biopsy.

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 23:25

We can tell you what we would do in your situation but not advise what you should do. I assume that with your PSA taken over 40 months going from 3.8 to 5.1 that the increase has gradually happened over that time rather than largely happened recently. In those circumstances I too would defer the template biopsy until I finished the job in March if it cannot be slotted in very soon and well before the work starts. If your experience of template biopsy is the same as mine, you might need at least a week to feel well enough to work and it depends how demanding this work would be. In my case, where there was not a complication, and after being able to walk soon after the procedure, it took two or three days for the swelling to develop and a few more days for it to subside but you are younger and fitter than I was.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 22:38

Others will perhaps disagree but my instinct is that having waited 40 months and with an onco who feels it is okay to wait a little longer, why not? If you lose the paid job and then get a clear biopsy, you will be relieved but gutted and broke :-(

Out of interest, did he say there was any possibility of getting the template biopsy in the next week or so?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 23:18

Hi there,

Just checked our calendar for Dec 2016

Thursday 8th 46 core template biopsy under general

Friday 9th stayed off work

Saturday 10th very bruised he went to villa match
Sunday 11th went to see red hot chilli peppers in concert
Monday 12tb back at work ( desk job but 100 mile journey- took trains)
Friday 16th dancing at office Xmas party ( I know bruising was worse by this time)

Can't advise but that was my husbands week following template biopsy.

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 22 Nov 2017 at 23:25

We can tell you what we would do in your situation but not advise what you should do. I assume that with your PSA taken over 40 months going from 3.8 to 5.1 that the increase has gradually happened over that time rather than largely happened recently. In those circumstances I too would defer the template biopsy until I finished the job in March if it cannot be slotted in very soon and well before the work starts. If your experience of template biopsy is the same as mine, you might need at least a week to feel well enough to work and it depends how demanding this work would be. In my case, where there was not a complication, and after being able to walk soon after the procedure, it took two or three days for the swelling to develop and a few more days for it to subside but you are younger and fitter than I was.

Barry
User
Posted 23 Nov 2017 at 10:08

Thankyou for your swift and helpful replies, it really helps.
My job starts in 9 days, and being a performer, is potentially very physical, and also we have to certify fitness before starting a job.
If I enter the system, I am on a list, and can't guarantee that the procedure will be booked in before I'm on tour(January)
Am on the Urgent Referral list, so that might make a difference.
If a biopsy shows something, of course I will need to get treatment, rather than being on stage on tour.

But your replies are giving me a perspective, and thanks....