I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

5 weeks after robot assisted surgery

User
Posted 01 Dec 2017 at 15:51

Just wanted to add my story to this forum. Last year (Summer) I decided to see my GP about prostate issues as I have a family history (Dad has prostate cancer, first diagnosed 20 years ago and treated with radiation therapy, but since spread to bones, and his brother dying from the same causes last year) and was having some symptoms like week urine flow. My PSA was tested and came in at 3.6 and a physical examination revealed a normal size prostate. The GP said I was within the guidelines and not to worry, so I didn't, until I was called for a "well-man" clinic in July this year, which revealed my PSA had risen to 3.9. The GP - a different doctor - said that needed further investigation, so I saw a consultant who said, with the normal size of my prostate, the PSA should be around 2.2. He suggested a biopsy, which discovered Glesason 3+3 in 11 of the 12 biopsy samples. After deliberation with my wife (I'm 60), we decided to go with the robot assisted surgery to remove the prostate, which happened on 28th October. I was seen quickly as I have private medical insurance through work. 

The operation was a success and after the usual issues with the catheter (8 days), I find myself with a full erection and minor bladder issues (dry at night for about a week). The surgeon managed, obviously, to save most of the nerves and the sense of relief when I had an erection the day after the catheter was removed was immense!

So the point of all this? Well, I was given the all clear by my GP and only picked up the cancer due to being called for a "well-man" clinic - that should be a message to all of us. You don't need a high PSA to have prostate cancer, get yourself checked out and research your family history.

Pete

User
Posted 02 Dec 2017 at 15:02

Hi Pete,

It's good to hear that you're doing so well. Keep up the good work, and the pelvic floor exercises!!!

See my "Leo the Robot" thread for my own slightly less recent robotic prostatectomy experiences. John Thomas isn't doing quite as well as you in the erectile department, but given that I started with a PSA of 130 I have nothing but praise for Leo and his NHS operators who contrived to spare some of my nerves whilst leaving me with a currently undetectable PSA.

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 00:02

Well done on getting your diagnosis. Stories of early diagnosis and successful treatment will hopefully improve as a percentage, but it's definitely not happening quickly enough.

Stay Calm And Carry On.