I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

opinions

User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 03:44

Hello , some of you may be interested in a very good article on diagnosed for prostate cancer published in the mail on sunday pulished by the mail on 7th november by professor Freddie Hamdy  article number 5056043. Him and his team are are doing a major trial involving 82,000 men with prostate cancer.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 03:44

Hello , some of you may be interested in a very good article on diagnosed for prostate cancer published in the mail on sunday pulished by the mail on 7th november by professor Freddie Hamdy  article number 5056043. Him and his team are are doing a major trial involving 82,000 men with prostate cancer.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 21:51

Clare,

The US Dr you gave the link to largely provides CV and accreditations which seem impressive. It seems you need to read his book or published papers to get a good grasp of his thoughts. It requires the results of combined tests to help ascertain how soon a man needs treatment but once diagnosed many a man who could likely just be monitored is going instead to want early radical treatment and occasionally is right to do so. As it stands there is the dilemma.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Dec 2017 at 03:28

Hi , well he did submit his initial findings to the National cancer research institute conference a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to find out if thet made comments on this. all the best  

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 17:31

Interesting. The issue seems to be primarily with diagnosis of very small areas of Gleason 6 and some argue it should not be described as 'cancer' as it doesn't have the properties but by giving it the name cancer it causes this quite understandable anxiety that leads to over treatment when resources could be refocused on Gleason 7 and higher. This US doctor has an interesting take on it all

https://www.prostateoncology.com/prostate-pros/mark-scholz-md/

Apparently Gleason 5 got downgraded and once upon a time it was described as cancer but now it's discover leads to an 'all clear' diagnosis. It's all quite grey. My husbands diagnosis was G6 but with a large volume all agreed he would need treatment within 5 years so that seems to conflict with the don't diagnose G6 advice.

What I do believe is that it all should be discussed and explained.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2017 at 21:51

Clare,

The US Dr you gave the link to largely provides CV and accreditations which seem impressive. It seems you need to read his book or published papers to get a good grasp of his thoughts. It requires the results of combined tests to help ascertain how soon a man needs treatment but once diagnosed many a man who could likely just be monitored is going instead to want early radical treatment and occasionally is right to do so. As it stands there is the dilemma.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Dec 2017 at 03:28

Hi , well he did submit his initial findings to the National cancer research institute conference a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to find out if thet made comments on this. all the best