Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

urine problems

User
Posted 04 Dec 2017 at 10:25
Hi All

I just had my four monthly post op check with my Uro. Good news PSA 0.01 undetectable ten months post op.

We discussed pee problems which for me are frequent urination and urgency resulting in producing as little as 300ml but up to 600ml. He says I might have a restriction where the uretha was stiched back to the bladder or maybe a retention issue. The nurse is making an appointment for a flow test and bladder scan. I am concerned that this is leading to a cystoscopy which I really am not keen on. Anyone had similar symptoms and or cystoscopy or medication. Or treatment for this? Any idea what I should expect either way please?

Could the PC have spread to my bladder even though PSA is undetectable?

Bill

Edited by member 04 Dec 2017 at 10:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 20:55

Hi
I have a weaker flow since my op in Feb 2013. So went for the cystoscopy. Like you I really did t fancy it. It as Chris says it was painless. They found I did have a stricture at the bladder neck and said I need it sorting as soon as possible.
I was booked in for surgery to put it right. But literally on the operating table just as they were going to put me under I asked to speak to the surgeon ( same one who did my RP). I asked if the op was because I would develop problems if they didn’t put it right or was it quality of life (I pee slower). The anesthetist in the corner said what you are saying is you can’t p*ss over the gate. I said yep that’s about it. The surgeon said well I can make your flow better but you might end up wearing 4-5 pads a day. He then asked me what I wanted to do. Needless to say I was out of there in a shot. Four years on and no change.
So ask plenty of questions

Bri

User
Posted 04 Dec 2017 at 12:07
Bill

In the right hands a cystoscopy will be painless and over in a minute, in the wrong hands it may be slightly uncomfortable. You can get a rough idea of your flow by urinating into jug or vessel and timing how long it takes. Then measure the amount of urine and divide urine ml by seconds. Eg 300 ml/ 30 sec equals 10 mls/sessions.

If you check my profile you will see three and a half years on I am still having issues.

Hope your problems are much simpler.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 07:52

Hi All
Thanks for your replies.

Just thought I should update with the outcome.

I went for the flow test with Uro Nurse and was told normal. Since then I have concentrated more on bladder training. I had previously been trying to hang on as long as possible and only go at what I thought was the last minute. With a lot of extra effort and concentration and at times literally holding myself I have now found that I can get passed that desperate urge until it eases or even disappears. Sometimes it can be another hour or so before I need to pee. This also gives me the confidence to go less often "just in case" when I know I won't be near a loo for a while. My capacity has improved and so has my confidence.
Hope this is useful for others with urge issues. It takes a lot of effort but you can improve.

Cheers

Bill

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Dec 2017 at 12:07
Bill

In the right hands a cystoscopy will be painless and over in a minute, in the wrong hands it may be slightly uncomfortable. You can get a rough idea of your flow by urinating into jug or vessel and timing how long it takes. Then measure the amount of urine and divide urine ml by seconds. Eg 300 ml/ 30 sec equals 10 mls/sessions.

If you check my profile you will see three and a half years on I am still having issues.

Hope your problems are much simpler.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 05:57

Thanks Chris
Thats reassuring about the cystoscope and looking at your profile my problem is not nearly on the same scale as yours. Im passing mostly 300ml to 500ml at a rate of about 15ml/sec the main problem is the sudden and severe urgancy.
Thanks again and good luck with your issues

Bill

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 10:49
Bill

I am not medically qualified but from my own experience and others on here, with a flow of 15mls/ sec I would be surprised if they found a stricture at the anastomosis. My consultant thought my stricture was part of the reason for my initial quick return to being dry. I would not be surprised if they found a hem o lok clip from the original surgery in the bladder. Prior to finding my first clip frequency was an issue. How frequently are you going to empty your bladder ? Are you overdoing the fluid intake and perhaps drinking the wrong fluids ?

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 19:48

Ive done a bit of googling and seems 15ml/sec is just about normal. I can hold on in the morning for four hours if sitting at a desk then pass about 300ml then gradually get more frequant. If moving around sometimes one hour and 200ml. Or both less time and volume. Then sometimes in the evening can be like two hours and 500ml. Maybe to much tea during the day even though decaf. Nothing to drink after 7pm then up twice in the night. Maybe this is just my new normal. Its the absolute urgency thats the problem. Like I said nothing compared to your issues. Maybe just hoping for to much. Ill see what they say after the test and scan.
I also researched those Hem o lok clips and found a few cases of them moving and causing problems. I had no idea they left bits inside us. Advice now is dont use them near the anastomosis and to check and remove loose ones. I thought that would be obvious, but why if they can be removed if they migrate do they have to leave them in the first place. I guess they hold bits in place untill heald. Id like to know if they used them or not.

Thanks again Chris

Bill

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 20:55

Hi
I have a weaker flow since my op in Feb 2013. So went for the cystoscopy. Like you I really did t fancy it. It as Chris says it was painless. They found I did have a stricture at the bladder neck and said I need it sorting as soon as possible.
I was booked in for surgery to put it right. But literally on the operating table just as they were going to put me under I asked to speak to the surgeon ( same one who did my RP). I asked if the op was because I would develop problems if they didn’t put it right or was it quality of life (I pee slower). The anesthetist in the corner said what you are saying is you can’t p*ss over the gate. I said yep that’s about it. The surgeon said well I can make your flow better but you might end up wearing 4-5 pads a day. He then asked me what I wanted to do. Needless to say I was out of there in a shot. Four years on and no change.
So ask plenty of questions

Bri

User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 07:52

Hi All
Thanks for your replies.

Just thought I should update with the outcome.

I went for the flow test with Uro Nurse and was told normal. Since then I have concentrated more on bladder training. I had previously been trying to hang on as long as possible and only go at what I thought was the last minute. With a lot of extra effort and concentration and at times literally holding myself I have now found that I can get passed that desperate urge until it eases or even disappears. Sometimes it can be another hour or so before I need to pee. This also gives me the confidence to go less often "just in case" when I know I won't be near a loo for a while. My capacity has improved and so has my confidence.
Hope this is useful for others with urge issues. It takes a lot of effort but you can improve.

Cheers

Bill