I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chill or be terrified?

User
Posted 10 Dec 2017 at 18:20

I'm very new to this. I had a PSA score of 18 just over 2 weeks ago. I asked for a test as I noticed I have been going to the loo several times a night for weeks, months, (years?). My GP told me I had a 95% (???) chance of having prostrate cancer. I am a 50 year old single man. My 20 year old son lives with me, god only knows what i would have done if he didn't. I have a twin brother and 2 elder brothers who have been fantastic. I can't tell my mother as my father died of prostrate cancer at the age of 54. He was diagnosed during my first term at university and he died at the start of my final year. So I only know one person who has had prostrate cancer. I have read up on the symptoms and had an MRI scan last Tuesday with a review with consultant urologist this Tuesday. I've had 2 DRE's and with those indications I'm hoping (?) to be diagnosed pc type T2b but wiil need biopsy first. If I can be treated I would like not to tell my mother. Suffering pretty bad anxiety and drinking a bit too much but it has helped me sleep very well! I still get to work for ten past seven each morning. I have never felt any pain but I do "feel" something. Worst Christmas present I've ever had!

User
Posted 10 Dec 2017 at 20:44
Hi Rich12
I love the title of your thread so if this is the question you are asking my answer would be to chill.
Understandably you are worried as a result of your previous contact with PCA but there really are so many treatments available these days that the future isn't all gloom and despondency. Each set of test results will give you more information about your own condition which gives you the opportunity to discuss it with your medical team.
Nothing is going to suddenly happen so if you haven't already done so check out the Toolkit on this site as information will help you to take charge of this.
There are many on this site who can help with technical information that I don't feel confident to talk about.
Worrying and drinking a bit too much isn't going to help in the long run but maybe talking to your son and brothers about your worries will help you on your journey.
Take a deep breath, try to slow things down in your head and then you might realise that despite the diagnosis you are the same guy that you were last week.

All the very best and keep us posted.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2017 at 20:50

Rich

From the start of my journey (2004) there has been vast improvements which is ongoing. To aid more accurate diagnosis there is now MRI rather than CT scan. RT is now far more targetted. Once HT was no longer effective in controlling PCa the size of the medicine chest in comparison to today was a mere matchbox. Chemo was in its infancy. Thus I can understand you looking back at your father's time but diagnosis and treatment has moved on.

Hang in there

Ray

User
Posted 10 Dec 2017 at 22:24

Rich, As Ray said, Hang in there.

The answer is definitely, Chill.

It can be a tough time between initial diagnosis and the start of treatment. I found it useful to take it one step at a time and prepare for that.

Many people here had a higher PSA and have been on the forum 10 years plus. Treatment has improved so much in recent years.

Keep your mind occupied, to stop the anxiety, read, chat with your son and brothers. Stay positive, I found this harder when tired, but was aware of this.

As Kevan says download the toolkit on this site, or phone and they can advise which booklets to get sent. I found it useful to read all I could.

Good luck on Tuesday with the review and please keep us posted so we can give you feedback.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2017 at 15:40

Rich

I was 46 when diagnosed last year.  It's a worrying time, but you are doing the right thing getting checked out.  I didn't tell my elderly mother until well after my surgery. 

Ulsterman

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 00:25

Rich, Totally agree with all the advice you have had here already. Take it steady, read all the literature and ask you medics (GP, nurses, etc.) for information you don't understand. You do need to tell male siblings, cousins, nephews etc. as it is important they get checked early (I only got checked because my younger brother was diagnosed - no symptoms). It is a big step facing up to the diagnosis but things will settle down. Good Luck