Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lynch syndrome

User
Posted 18 Dec 2017 at 20:22
Hi all
Hubby had five cancers in 6 years, including being diagnosed with prostate cancer Gleason 9 spread to bones in May 2016. Been down the genetic route and just found out he has a gene mutation. It’s a mismatch repair gene( (MMR). It means he is predisposed to certain cancers. Wondered if anyone else has come across this?
Debbie x
User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 11:32

He's really been through the mill hasn't he Debbie.

My husband's only had two (only !!) in four years.

Does he get watched extra carefully ?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 15:38

Well horrible as his (and you) situation is, should anything nasty rear its head you will already be at the top of the treatment page and not starting from scratch with doctors trying to find out what the problem is.

My own daughter had bowel (well, colorectal) cancer which resulted in a colostomy at 38 and her older brother has polyps and because of her cancer he too is regularly checked which, given their history is a relief.

I hope you get some joy out of Christmas and can put it to one side for the period, although I appreciate that it won't feel very joyful to either of you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 21:34

Thinking of you
Best wishes to you and your family
Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 11:32

He's really been through the mill hasn't he Debbie.

My husband's only had two (only !!) in four years.

Does he get watched extra carefully ?

User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 15:33
Hi
Thank you for your reply. Yes they are giving him regular colonoscopies as polyps keep appearing. We have two children and there is a 50%chance that one of them has inherited the faulty gene, so that is a worry too.

He feels well at the moment even though his PSA has started to rise. He is due to have a ct and mri scans early January so dreading that but trying to focus on enjoying the Christmas celebrations with family and friends till then..

Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas and a peaceful 2018.

Debbie x
User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 15:38

Well horrible as his (and you) situation is, should anything nasty rear its head you will already be at the top of the treatment page and not starting from scratch with doctors trying to find out what the problem is.

My own daughter had bowel (well, colorectal) cancer which resulted in a colostomy at 38 and her older brother has polyps and because of her cancer he too is regularly checked which, given their history is a relief.

I hope you get some joy out of Christmas and can put it to one side for the period, although I appreciate that it won't feel very joyful to either of you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 21:34

Thinking of you
Best wishes to you and your family
Debby

User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 22:23
Hi Sandra
Sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis, not sure how long ago this was but hope she is doing well, and your son. I think you are right now the hospital is aware of hubby’s faulty gene they should be on top of things hopefully!
Take care
Debbie x