I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

fear

User
Posted 01 Jan 2018 at 03:15

My 82 year old Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March whilst in hospital with congestive heart failure. He had been under urology for over 15 years with an enlarged prostate and he had a turp operation done in february 2017 where they took some biopsies it took 7 weeks to get the results of the biopsies and then we only got them after him having a chest xray and shadows were seen on his lungs so we chased up the results from the biopsies to find out  that  he had prostate cancer with score 4+4 He doesn't know how serious is illness is  we are trying to protect him he thinks he will be fine with the 3 monthly hormone injection he has and that this hormone injection will stop it getting any worse. He had a bone scan 6 weeks  ago and the cancer is in his the whole spine ,ribs ,shoulders .elbows ,feet.I love my Dad dearly and don't  want him to be worried so i keep saying that the hormone treatment will keep it at bay but i don't know if this is true i was told when he was first diagnosed  that the cancer was not curable but was treatable I now haven't had an opportunity to ask if this still is the case.  He is having a lot of problems with pain so he is now on morphine and his appetite is up and down along with the nausea  and dizziness he wants to exercise and says he needs to get fit so pushes himself into walking  laps of the stores although he is wobbly and tired. Im worried sick incase he falls He also am afraid of watching my Dad deteriorate i know he can not go on forever but i'm so scared of what lies ahead any help and advice about what we are likely to face would help me greatly i really am scared to see him suffer and waste away

User
Posted 01 Jan 2018 at 11:39

Hello benbillbob3 and welcome to the site.

I'm so sorry that your dad is having to cope with his prostate cancer at 82.

It's a difficult one,isn't it, because at 82 he would likely have slowed down anyway but is pushing himself to try and keep fit because of the effects of his treatments.

I cannot answer your questions and fears but I hope that somebody else with the necessary knowledge will be along to advise you.
Failing that, tomorrow you could ring one of the nurses on this site who are apparently very helpful.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jan 2018 at 12:48
I’m 60 and was diagnosed back in May with PCa widespread through the bones. I’m also on hormone treatment and my oncologist has said that it makes the cancer wither away because it has nothing to feed on. It kills say 98% of the cancer and the other 2% goes dormant but eventually finds a way round the hormone therapy and comes back and then they hav3 to hit it with something else. Eventually they will run out of something else’s. from a positive viewpoint I understand that there are lots of new treatments in development